Faulty mobile phone but warranty no good.

I have had my Samsung Galaxy Ace for four months. I really looked after it but it stopped charging recently. After the battery ran out, it died. I sent it back under warranty. The engineer's report states that I have to pay £65 for a fix as the damage was not covered on the warranty. It seems there was water ingress/condensation in the charger port.

Just before it stopped working it was in my pocket when it was raining. My jeans got a bit damp. Is that how fragile these phones are? Why does my ten quid Alcatel phone keep working year after year, no matter what abuse it gets?

To rub it in, I could have had free insurance through my bank account but I didn't register the phone.

Has anyone had similar issues with phones under warranty?

Not really the same thing, but so far I've had my Galaxy S2 repaired twice under warranty, and before that I had an Iphone 3G which I also had repaired under warranty, which cost me £50 excess on the insurance.

I have had my Samsung Galaxy Ace for four months. I really looked after it but it stopped charging recently. After the battery ran out, it died. I sent it back under warranty. The engineer's report states that I have to pay £65 for a fix as the damage was not covered on the warranty. It seems there was water ingress/condensation in the charger port.

Just before it stopped working it was in my pocket when it was raining. My jeans got a bit damp. Is that how fragile these phones are? Why does my ten quid Alcatel phone keep working year after year, no matter what abuse it gets?

To rub it in, I could have had free insurance through my bank account but I didn't register the phone.

Has anyone had similar issues with phones under warranty?

Not long ago there was a story in the paper about mobiles and their warranties, seems this is a standard get out from the companies saying water damage is the problem. Get trading standards involved see if they can help you out.

Yes, I had my Samsung Galaxy for a whole 3 days before it wouldn't turn on. They asked if I had had it in the rain, no, I haven't even taken it outside! In the bathroom? No. In the kitchen? Yes. The kitchen is too steamy for it apparently, steam from pans or a kettle can water damage the fragile parts.

Take the phone apart and dry out somewhere warmish. If it still doesn't work send it off. If they try the water damage trick then you know It's a lie. Condensation doesn't stay internally if It's been dryed out.

Seems like the old 'water damage' line is a standard fob off. LG used it when my daughters phone packed up after 3 months. They wanted £60 to repair it, when a new one could be bought for £59.99. The cheeky sods even tried to blag £ 20 out of me to send the broken phone back to me, I just told them I'd happily collect it from the shop I dropped it off at originally and how they got it there was up to them. It was there two days later at no cost to me.

My old Nokia N95 went through a complete No 4 cycle in the washing machine. Took the back off and left it on a radiator for a day or so and it worked fine for another three years!

I opted (by poor recommendation) for the i-phone 4S when I decided to upgrade ... it was broken even straight from the box (camera didn't work) Swapped it for the Nokia Lumia 800 which is far superior. It got left out in the rain last week (whilst I was gardening) but works fine.

Take the phone apart and dry out somewhere warmish. If it still doesn't work send it off. If they try the water damage trick then you know It's a lie. Condensation doesn't stay internally if It's been dryed out.

If the components have already been damged by being used when wet drying it out won't fix them...

You could also use a hairdryer on it.

If i remember correctly the phone has a couple of little stickers inside that change colour when wet, nearly all new phones have these now, so that repair companies can tell at a glance if it has ever been in a wet/damp environment.

Archived