Faulty mobile phone but warranty no good.

Liquid ingress has never been covered by warranty unfortunately and in fairness why would it be? It's not a manufacturing defect or component failure which is what you'd expect a manufacturer to cover.

The trouble with taking them apart is you may disturb seals put in place to detect such an activity which again would invalidate the warranty.

The charger port has a sliding “door” so the idea of damp jeans getting the inside damaged sounds unlikely ……. Have you tried you bank insurance, ideally it should be registered with them but if you have proof of purchase you may still be in with a chance.

I am with the TSB and they state cover for water damage upto £2000 although there is a £50 eccess

My phone never had any liquid ingress. The closest it came was being in my jeans pocket when it was raining, as has happened at some point with every other phone I have owned.

I forgot to close the sliding door unfortunately, but even so I am disappointed at the failure of the phone.

I have had my Samsung Galaxy Ace for four months. I really looked after it but it stopped charging recently. After the battery ran out, it died. I sent it back under warranty. The engineer's report states that I have to pay £65 for a fix as the damage was not covered on the warranty. It seems there was water ingress/condensation in the charger port.

Just before it stopped working it was in my pocket when it was raining. My jeans got a bit damp. Is that how fragile these phones are? Why does my ten quid Alcatel phone keep working year after year, no matter what abuse it gets?

To rub it in, I could have had free insurance through my bank account but I didn't register the phone.

Has anyone had similar issues with phones under warranty?

I to have the same phone as you on contract with 3,I took my phone in for repair as there was no sound eg ringtone,alarms,music.shop on bradfield road wanted £30 to repair it,i then took it to the 3 shop on fargate who said to return it to factory settings which i did and had no luck with it. The nearest samsung service center is in Doncaster which i ended up going to on wednesday ,they took the phone apart explained what the trouble was and as it was still under warranty it was free to repair although it was my fault for dropping it in the first place.Went yesterday to pick it up.

Take the phone apart and dry out somewhere warmish. If it still doesn't work send it off. If they try the water damage trick then you know It's a lie. Condensation doesn't stay internally if It's been dryed out.

There is a water damage indicator inside the phone (sometimes under the battery, depending on phone type) which changes colour was it has got wet. Drying it out will not reverse the colour change.

jb

My phone never had any liquid ingress. The closest it came was being in my jeans pocket when it was raining, as has happened at some point with every other phone I have owned.

I forgot to close the sliding door unfortunately, but even so I am disappointed at the failure of the phone.

Cool. If you have not already done so then get it registered with your bank insurance.

jn

Archived