Anyone travelled across the EU, with car?

ive just remembered, my husband has court fines for minor offences such as road traffic offences from years ago before i even met him, he pays them so much every week but they are not cleared..would this stop him from travelling abroad?

ive just remembered, my husband has court fines for minor offences such as road traffic offences from years ago before i even met him, he pays them so much every week but they are not cleared..would this stop him from travelling abroad?

No .

Court fines from years ago and he's still paying?

Will need in no particular order.

First Aid kit

Head lamp convertors

Hi Viz Vests (one for each person)

Warning triangle

Bulb kits

Fire Extinguisher (in some countries)

GB sticker (unless your numberplate has EU on left hand side)

Breathalysers (although they don't come in to effect until July)

If you are going in to the mountains then you will need to carry snow chains (France/Germany)

Are you using a satnav?

Just make sure it has European Maps and they are upto date.

Pretty much all the stuff has been covered on here but check the AA & RAC websites just to make sure.

I would get travel insurane just in case. Its not that expensive for just the 2 of you.

I'm hoping to do this when the kids are older. have you any idea on a route?

Mine would be Chunnel to France, Belgium Germany Czech Republic Austria Italy Switzerland South of France Andorra Spain (Barcelona Valencia Madrid) and then back via west coast of France & Brittany, I think I'll need 3-4 weeks!

I'm very jealous.

ps make sure you are carrying all the guff required nowadays, ie hi viz coat, spare lamps, breathalyser etc etc.

A first aid kit in the car is an absolute essential in Germany. They will bust you with an on the spot fine and a warning if you don't have one.

+ an emergency triangle to place behind your car in the event of breakdown etc.

I have drove across France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Sicily. You really can't beat the freedom of just driving anywhere your fancy takes you. I would advise however that you have a basic idea of where you want to go and try and avoid toll roads if possible. If driving through Switzerland you will need to get their version of road tax in order to travel on the motorways. If you enter the country on a motorway there will be a toll booth where you can buy this, alternatively you can get it from service stations etc, costs around 35-40 euros.

jb

ETA: On crossing borders, I drove from Sheffield to Italy and back, passing through several countries along the way, and only needed my passport in Dover and Calais/Dunkirk. Quite often you can cross a border and not even realise.

Archived