Tate and Lyle , Nestle , funded by taxpayer ?

According to " farmsubsidies.org/GB/" the EU paid Cap agricultural subsidies over 10 years to the following :

Tate and Lyle Europe..............827,979,239 euros

Nestle UK Ltd........................196,777,997 euros

Czarnikow Group Ltd ..............129,104,665 euros

(sugar company , India)

Scratches head . Where are all the european sugar plantations ?

CAP accounts for 47% of the EU budget , that's a lot of taxpayers, money , but according to "farmsubsidies" 92% of EU CAP spending is done behind closed doors .

That's your and mine taxes ! TRANSPARENCY , ETHICS , DEMOCRACY eh?

Just what are the EU trying to cover up ? Innocently , I thought that CAP subsidies were to help struggling farmers , not multinational "junk food" companies .

"We are all in it together" comes to mind- no wonder the rich are getting richer at the working man's expense .

Wealthy landowners also get to dip into the CAP agricultural subsidy trough , they receive subsidies based on land acreage , regardless of actual food production , this comes from OUR taxes ! Jeremy Clarkson ( troll ) even boasts that he gets money for doing nothing when it comes to CAP - THE RICH MUST BE LAUGHING AT US !

So what can we do about it ???? Ideas please , I for one have had enough .

I'm sure that Tate & Lyle no longer get any subsidies for sugar as they no longer produce it. Since 2010 they sold that part of their business including the rights to brand bags of sugar and Lyle's Golden Syrup to an American company.

Tate and Lyle golden syrup and Jamaican ginger cake are worth at least €827,979,239 each. So I'm happy about the subsidies,how else would I afford them?

What's more shocking with the subsidies are the ones paid out for not using land. At least the sugar companies are employing people. No?

So where exactly ARE these vast swathes of land owned by Tate and Lyle , Nestle and the Czarnikow Group ? Can you claim EU CAP subsidies for NOT growing or producing anything ?

Do EU CAP subsidies actually fund the European Gravy Train network , and can you use a EuroRail pass on their networks ?

Have you never heard of Sugar Beet?

The majority of the funds paid to T&L were in order to maintain an artificially high price for European Beet farmers.

Some of the payments were balanced by tariffs paid by T&L for importing Cane Sugar to Europe.

This is because it's much cheaper & more efficient to grow sugar in the Caribbean & South America.

To make sure that these Caribbean & South American farmers can never make any real money from selling their sugar the EU & the USA subsidise producing home grown sugar & put tariffs on imports. Sugar cane doesn't grow well here, so we grow beets, get much less sugar from the amount of land used & it needs more expensive processing too. It takes vast subsidies to make home grown sugar a similar price to cane sugar in the shops. It could be worse, we could live in America & be fed corn syrup instead.

I think Tate & Lyle are the farmers, that's why they get the subsidies, they're paid direct to farmers/land owners.

You should see how much the royals get in farm subsidies...

Sugar , sugar beet , whatever ! Why are my taxes going to Tate and Lyle rather than directly to the farmers who supply the sugar beet ? Do the farmers share in the agricultural subsidies which Tate and Lyle receive ?

Tate & Lyle aren't in the sugar business any more -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jul/01/tate-lyle-sale-sugar-business

Archived