Anorexic woman to be force fed.

She wanted to be allowed to die, but the courts have ruled she must be force fed. Her condition is curable. BBC.

People are criticising this, saying she should be able to make her own decisions. But I reckon anybody who wants to starve themselves to death clearly isn't in the best frame of mind.

In 10 years time, if she survives, I reckon she'll look back and be thankful that she was given another shot at life.

Allowing a terminally ill person to die is a different matter, but an otherwise healthy person? Nah, the judge definitely made the right decision, top marks. She'll thank you one day.

To me it's just like refusing to help someone about to jump off the top of a block of flats, as a society we wouldn't just stand by and let him do it thinking "Ah well, his own decision". We'd rag him down and call the men in white coats.

I thought people with anorexia nervosa could be sectioned and forced to eat or fitted with a feeding tube, maybe I'm misinformed.

It doesn't state in the article whether she suffers from depression or any mental illness other than anorexia.

I believe the judge's decision is right, I would have thought that her physical state must have a bearing on her mental wellbeing; if the doctors can get her back to a reasonably healthy weight she may feel better psychologically too, and be glad she didn't starve herself to death.

On the other hand, if someone is slowly killing themselves with extreme obesity, should the authorities be allowed to force them to stop eating?

I thought people with anorexia nervosa could be sectioned and forced to eat or fitted with a feeding tube, maybe I'm misinformed.

It doesn't state in the article whether she suffers from depression or any mental illness other than anorexia.

I believe the judge's decision is right, I would have thought that her physical state must have a bearing on her mental wellbeing; if the doctors can get her back to a reasonably healthy weight she may feel better psychologically too, and be glad she didn't starve herself to death.

On the other hand, if someone is slowly killing themselves with extreme obesity, should the authorities be allowed to force them to stop eating?

You are right there.If they are killing themselves by not eating the courts should be used to stop people killing themselves by over eating.Just look at the 63 stone teenager recently.Nothing short of child abuse by the parents allowing her all the food in the world.

But....if they start going down that road where does it stop.Would they stop people smoking/drinking/drug users because they are slowly killing themselves?

Its a dangerous game when they take the persons free will out of the equation.

She wanted to be allowed to die, but the courts have ruled she must be force fed. Her condition is curable. BBC.

People are criticising this, saying she should be able to make her own decisions. But I reckon anybody who wants to starve themselves to death clearly isn't in the best frame of mind.

In 10 years time, if she survives, I reckon she'll look back and be thankful that she was given another shot at life.

Allowing a terminally ill person to die is a different matter, but an otherwise healthy person? Nah, the judge definitely made the right decision, top marks. She'll thank you one day.

To me it's just like refusing to help someone about to jump off the top of a block of flats, as a society we wouldn't just stand by and let him do it thinking "Ah well, his own decision". We'd rag him down and call the men in white coats.

No reason whatsoever to assume that she will thank her abusers in 10 years. She's about to be made to undergo the abuse of having food forced into her body against her will.

Archived