PING! Table Tennis for all in Sheffield!

The Ping! initiative has started today. There are 40 table tennis tables across the City for all to use. Sites are train station, meadowhall, barkers pool, tudor square, peace gardens, fargate, millenium square, ponds forge, EIS, Ice Sheffield, Hillsborough Leisure Centre, Cathedral, Devonshire Green, Centertainment, Botanical Gardens, Concord Sports Centre, Carbrook and Shef Hallam HUBS. Bats and balls are on the tables and a team of trusty volunteers will be replenishing them if any go missing! Please have a go. Enjoy!

The Ping! initiative has started today. There are 40 table tennis tables across the City for all to use. Sites are train station, meadowhall, barkers pool, tudor square, peace gardens, fargate, millenium square, ponds forge, EIS, Ice Sheffield, Hillsborough Leisure Centre, Cathedral, Devonshire Green, Centertainment, Botanical Gardens, Concord Sports Centre, Carbrook and Shef Hallam HUBS. Bats and balls are on the tables and a team of trusty volunteers will be replenishing them if any go missing! Please have a go. Enjoy!

Ahh I was wondering where the bats were. What a great idea!

Yes, just been past the Cathedral ones and there is a good vibe! the tables will be in place for 4 weeks. it's just a chance really for people to have a go, and do something fun, sporty and sociable that requires no planning- just pick up a bat and have a go! the tables in town were nearly all busy today, so seems to be well received so far.

Well, I saw the table tennis table out of the Cathedral today. Personally I guess...the wind in Sheffield makes it impossible to play the best one can...it's too strong with undetermined directions. I guess it's just not suitable to play table tennis in the open air in Sheffield. :P

• 1 month later...
I can't see the bats lasting very long. I hope I'm wrong though!!!

I traveled into Sheffield the other day (Tuesday) purely to play Ping pong, those tables yielded Northern Rail money they would otherwise have not received. Economic rent if you like. I even had a walk round Sheffield too and bought a few bits and bobs.

I visited Sheffield, purely for the ping pong!

Table tennis, if you like...

There were 5 bats, and 2 balls, presumably somebody had stole the others.

Anyhow, I visited again today, and there were minimum 8 bats and 4 balls, all the tables were being used :)

They had been replaced!

I was actively considering buying some new bats and balls and approaching the rail station staff to see if some 'deposit scheme' could be launched. Like in pubs with pool tables, in order to stop people taking the equipment as trophy's/souvenirs.

Archived