Housing crisis - moving people into smaller properties not an option!

But that's what the government is pushing for.

Everyone. We all know this is just an excuse to push the most vulnerable in society around. So what about people who have bought their own house and it's too big for them, e.g. a single person with more than one bedroom? Does that or does that not contribute to the so claimed housing shortage? I propose home owners pay a tax of £10k per annum for each bedroom that remains unused and that includes guest rooms.

The problem isn't a shortage of rooms to rent but a shortage of unspoilt no/low income people willing to share their rental accommodation.

Why ?

Would it not make more sense to errect a sign at Dover and heathrow saying "sorry - we're full" ??

Most of this countrys problems boil down to the fact we have too many people and not enough space.

I wouldn't disagree that mass immigration is a problem and controlling it is therefore part of the solution. However, I was responding to the OP claiming that there are not enough one and two bedroom rental properties for those on benefits (who are 'over-accommodated') to move into.

]"Worked all life" and "raised a family" are irrelevancies; as is "may well be on benefit".[/b]What matters is under-occupation of a scarce public sector house needed for more occupants than at present.

No-one's being made homeless by this proposal, you know.

Maybe to you, but not to me....

But that's what the government is pushing for.

Everyone. We all know this is just an excuse to push the most vulnerable in society around. So what about people who have bought their own house and it's too big for them, e.g. a single person with more than one bedroom? Does that or does that not contribute to the so claimed housing shortage? I propose home owners pay a tax of £10k per annum for each bedroom that remains unused and that includes guest rooms.

I have a house that is too big for me. I am trying to sell it. I pay council tax and water rates totalling £160 a month, plus the mortgage and other bills. I would be expected to pay £20k because I have two small bedrooms not being used?

Sounds like something a Communist country would do. I wondered how long it would be before an Englishman's home was no longer his castle

We're talking about socially provided housing, it was never their home, they merely rent it (cheaply) from the state.

If the state must provide housing for people then it should be based on their present need, if they need a four bedroom they should get if its available, but then they should be moved to something smaller when they no longer need it.

There was a situation near me when a single old lady wanted to down size from her four bed council house to a council bungalow, the council wouldn't let her move because bungalows are now for the disabled and not old people.

What goes around comes around. They don't like it up them Mr Mainwaring. The point I was making it that some people want to bully other people but they're not keen on being bullied themselves. It's time to stand up to the bullies.

I have a house that is too big for me. I am trying to sell it. I pay council tax and water rates totalling £160 a month, plus the mortgage and other bills. I would be expected to pay £20k because I have two small bedrooms not being used?

I see you don't like that, well why expect other people to accept stuff you or anyone else want to do to them?

Archived