Nick Clegg. Things he wished he never said

"The vocation of Liberalism is not to be a leftwing ghetto for people who are disaffected by the Labour party.", September 2010

Said with the safety of an almost 5 year cushion before the next general election. And also betraying of his own narrow very blue-tinged view of what the LibDems should be, ignorant of the powerful tradition of social democracy within the party.

I wonder now that his party is at 9% in the polls, would he want those voters to support him after all? The thing is election strategists in any party never seek to alienate whole sections of the electorate like Nick Clegg did. They do their best to offer something, however little, to every voter.

IMO Clegg will not lead the LibDems into the next general election. The party will turn on him well before that.

People moan when politicians do what is good for the party and ignore what is good for the country, but when one does something that is good for the country but bad for the party they still moan, seams they can’t win whatever they do.

People moan when politicians do what is good for the party and ignore what is good for the country, but when one does something that is good for the country but bad for the party they still moan, seams they can’t win whatever they do.

Whether the LibDems have been good for the country is for another thread. Start one if you want.

This is about whether what Clegg did has been good for the LibDems.

Come election time I'll be reminding people what Nick Clegg, if he is still there, thinks of left-wing voters, reminding them that he doesn't want them.

IMO the only way the LibDems can win back any of the support is to get rid of Clegg and project a genuine left of centre image. It may already be too late to win back any trust in time for the next election though.

Whether the LibDems have been good for the country is for another thread. Start one if you want.

This is about whether what Clegg did has been good for the LibDems.

Come election time I'll be reminding people what Nick Clegg, if he is still there, thinks of left-wing voters, reminding them that he doesn't want them.

IMO the only way the LibDems can win back any of the support is to get rid of Clegg and project a genuine left of centre image. It may already be too late to win back any trust in time for the next election though.

So you vote for politicians that are good for the party you support as opposed to good for the country.

So you vote for politicians that are good for the party you support as opposed to good for the country.

I don't support any party at the moment. I'm a left-winger looking for a home. I voted Green last time and probably will again.

Left wing parties aren't electable.

That's the way the electorate seems to feel about right-wing ones too. The Tories failure to win in 2010 was a spectacular misfire against a seriously wounded Labour party. Many right-wing Tory MPs still feel angry that they didn't win, and blame Cameron. Even the LibDems mananged to lose several seats.

Archived