Nick Clegg. Things he wished he never said

That's the way the electorate seems to feel about right-wing ones too. The Tories failure to win in 2010 was a spectacular misfire against a seriously wounded Labour party.

The Tories' failure to win in 2010 was entirely, and solely, down to the large bias in constituency sizes, in favour of left-wing areas. With that removed, they'd have had a majority of over sixty. Indeed, with that removed, they'd have been the largest party in the Commons in 2005!

The Tories' failure to win in 2010 was entirely, and solely, down to the large bias in constituency sizes, in favour of left-wing areas. With that removed, they'd have had a majority of over sixty. Indeed, with that removed, they'd have been the largest party in the Commons in 2005!

And I think that anomaly is being corrected, and then we have Scotland if they vote for independence (which I doubt they will) we can look forward to a permanent Tory government.:)

This is one of the most tenuous arguments I've seen on here in quite some time.

Constituencies are not created out of bias. Surely you cannot be arguing that? Or that the election was not winnable for the Tories?

The election was completely winnable if they had:

1. A better, clearer manifesto

2. Not shot themselves in the foot with the televised debates

3. Better election strategy

4. Better candidates

They did not lose the election because of gerrymandered constituency boundaries which is what you seem to be arguing. They lost because they had a poor manifesto, a poor campaign and a leader people did not trust.

And I think that anomaly is being corrected, and then we have Scotland if they vote for independence (which I doubt they will) we can look forward to a permanent Tory government.:)

Careful what you wish for MrSmith.

This is one of the most tenuous arguments I've seen on here in quite some time.

Constituencies are not created out of bias.

Nor they are. Bias appears over time, and every few years constituencies have to be redrawn to remove it. That process will have been completed by the next election - at which election, an identical vote for the Tories will see them have a working majority of over sixty. (And that's assuming Scotland have not voted to leave the Union, although even if they do vote for independence I don't believe it could be done that quickly.)

If he wants them to have a broad appeal he needs to pick his words more carefully.

From a purely strategic electoral point of view it matters not whether left-leaning LibDem supporters are disaffected Labour supporters or whether they are long-standing LibDem-supporting social democrats. At the very least there was no need for Clegg to attempt to intellectualise that issue, especially in a way that can be used as ammunition later.

But they're not LibDem supporters - they are Labour supporters who have temporarily voted LibDem because they are upset at Labour. They'll be back voting Labour at the earliest opportunity.

This quote will come back to be used against him. And he will get bogged down at election time trying to explain it, if he survives that long. If he doesn't survive somebody will have to explain what it meant. And in the context of a history of the party supporting policies that are not naturally LibDem it will be a massive task. Big strategic mistake.

"The Tories made us do it [sobs]" :hihi:

"It was a coalition stupid."

Of course, Labour and the Conservatives will both be desperately trying to make sure the idea of coalitions never becomes popular because they'll both be in trouble if they do.

If there is not even a vague chance of other parties getting in, there'll be nothing to stop the Conservative back benchers tearing the party apart over Europe.

If there is not even a vague chance of other parties getting in, there'll be nothing to stop the Conservative back benchers tearing the party apart over Europe.

You may be right, but in fact there is still every chance of another party getting in. In 1997 and 2001, Labour had a majority in England alone - a much larger majority than it would have been if all constituencies were of equal size, but nevertheless they would still have been in power.

People moan when politicians do what is good for the party and ignore what is good for the country, but when one does something that is good for the country but bad for the party they still moan, seams they can’t win whatever they do.

Don’t say you fell for that old chestnut. :hihi:

Nor they are. Bias appears over time, and every few years constituencies have to be redrawn to remove it. That process will have been completed by the next election - at which election, an identical vote for the Tories will see them have a working majority of over sixty. (And that's assuming Scotland have not voted to leave the Union, although even if they do vote for independence I don't believe it could be done that quickly.)

There won't be an identical vote at the next election.

Can you point me at a site that explains how the 60+ working majority was calculated. Ta.

Archived