Nick Clegg. Things he wished he never said

But they're not LibDem supporters - they are Labour supporters who have temporarily voted LibDem because they are upset at Labour. They'll be back voting Labour at the earliest opportunity.

"It was a coalition stupid."

Of course, Labour and the Conservatives will both be desperately trying to make sure the idea of coalitions never becomes popular because they'll both be in trouble if they do.

Did Clegg not want those disaffected Labour supporters to come on board and remain as LibDem supporters. There is evidence of Labour voters switching to LibDem, not just as a one-off but sticking with them for some years, e.g. after the start of the Iraq war then not ditching the LibDems until after the 2010 elections. Your argument that they would just switch back is far too convenient.

As for the coalition, there is absolutely no need for the LibDems to have supported the Tories policies as fully as they have. This will prove to be another massive strategic mistake. There are two things that were required for stable government, if the fear of financial markets was the over-riding concern:

1. Vote with the government on no-confidence votes.

2. Support of financial policies.

There was no need for:

- continuation of trident

- tuition fees debacle

- privatisation of NHS

etc...

And all the other policies the LibDems have had to pretend they supported.

As for the coalition, there is absolutely no need for the LibDems to have supported the Tories policies as fully as they have. This will prove to be another massive strategic mistake. There are two things that were required for stable government, if the fear of financial markets was the over-riding concern:

What makes you think the Tories would have accepted a coalition on those terms?

Did Clegg not want those disaffected Labour supporters to come on board and remain as LibDem supporters. There is evidence of Labour voters switching to LibDem, not just as a one-off but sticking with them for some years, e.g. after the start of the Iraq war then not ditching the LibDems until after the 2010 elections. Your argument that they would just switch back is far too convenient.

I'm sure David Cameron would like any Labour supporters who voted for him after being appalled by Gordon Brown's handling of the economy to continue doing so. I doubt he'd be willing to change Conservative policy to keep their vote though. I don't understand why you think the LibDems should.

There was no need for:

- continuation of trident

- tuition fees debacle

- privatisation of NHS

etc...

And all the other policies the LibDems have had to pretend they supported.

You seem determined to not understand how a coalition works. You don't get to pick and choose which policies you support - you argue with those with different views, come to a compromise, and all support that. Just like happens with the differing factions within single parties.

I'm sure David Cameron would like any Labour supporters who voted for him after being appalled by Gordon Brown's handling of the economy to continue doing so. I doubt he'd be willing to change Conservative policy to keep their vote though. I don't understand why you think the LibDems should.

You seem determined to not understand how a coalition works. You don't get to pick and choose which policies you support - you argue with those with different views, come to a compromise, and all support that. Just like happens with the differing factions within single parties.

I do understand. If the over-riding concern was national stability in the face of external financial threat then very few things were actually required.

Libdems were able to promise anything they wanted, they knew they never had a chance of getting into power.

Too many people voted LidDem when they really wanted Labour.

The substantive differences between Lib Lab and Con are ...... ?

Answers in bold caps on the back of a postage stamp please.

Libdems would tax and spend if they could get away with it. The Tories believe in running things to a bottom line.

How many votes would Labour get if those reliant on the government for an income were denied a vote?

People on benefits you mean?

I bet this is up there with clegg's regrets http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2010/09/tuition-fees-clegg-vote-mps

Politicians should be legally bound to statements/positions/promises on pain of death. All the libdems have proved since bedding down with the Tories is that they don't even deserve the small amount of votes they do get.

Needs to be a serious alternative to the regular crappy parties Tories labour libdem. All worth listening to opposition but sell out faster than iPads in Japan as soon as they come to power. It's not even worth voting. Nothing changes representation is not proportional and every government will bend over for the rich. Why bother with the expense of elections?

Libdems would tax and spend if they could get away with it. The Tories believe in running things to a bottom line

Last time they were in power they were the authors of major economic crisis in 1992. What short memories people have.

I remember when Nick Clegg said last year that he regularly cries to music, perhaps he hoped to curry favour with the Bristish electorate. More fool him, a lot of people complained at the time he should quit the self pity and stop being a cry baby

Archived