Debts..advice please

I got into LOADS of debt a few years back after using credit cards and several loans. I read alot of useful info from martin lewis's website...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

I used experian credit check to monitor my credit report but you can apply for it free if you pay something like £2.50. Check out ML's website, the info will be on there.

The way i cleared my debt was to use his 'card tarting method' basically IF you can get the longest 0% balance transfer rate on a card usually virgin,barclays etc then transfer all of your maxed out cards onto the new one. Then set up a direct debit with a steady amount. Same goes for the loans you may have. It took me a couple of cards to clear the debt and i did sell my car to pay a personal loan off. But if you do it this way you avoid paying any interest apart from the balance transfer fee (around 2.5-3%).

I did aproach my bank about setting up a consoladation loan but i heard martin lewis on BBC radio 2... top bloke!

If you want any more advice dont be afraid to ask

If the OPs credit rating is horrendous they will not be getting any of the 0% cards. They will be lucky to get one at 30%.

jb

But there are a few 'credit rescue' cards, designed to assist in re-establishing creditworthiness.

Their effectiveness will really depend upon what is causing the poor credit rating. If it is CCJs, defaults or high numbers of missed payments (ordered according to severity) then time will be the biggest healer. Your right though this should be coupled with no further missed payments and a history of making regular payments to some line of credit.

A high level of debt in comparison to income is also a big no-no and can only be solved by paying off said debt.

jb

Archived