Looks like circumcision could be banned.

I'm not insinuating anything, please don't attempt to impute such drama as 'evil' or that another person is a 'lesser' being, to my opinion. What I say is what I say, I try to be clear at all times. If anything 'misguided' would be my assessment of people who make unchangeable choices for themselves or others, in the name of religious beliefs.

I have a hazy idea that many religious tenets and instructions for mutilating the sexual organs of both men and women are designed to control behaviour and reduce sexual pleasure. Everything else, hygiene and disease control, are attempts to justify and introduce some rationality into these practises?

Now whos the drama-imputer? Firstly, a foreskin is not an organ its a teeny piece of skin, and removing does not = mutilation. I think you need to look that word up. Try google images. ;)

And yes, hygeine, disease control, in my opinion as a parent, is something that we take 1000% seriously in our children, so it does help that there are benefits on top of the tradition itself. If you have a boy, you should look at doing it, if he's too old now to not forget, he won't thank you for not removing his foreskin, i can promise you! Especially if he (G-d forbid) gets urinary tract infections, has inferior genital hygiene, smegma, sexually transmitted HIV, oncogenic types of human papillomavirus, genital herpes, syphilis and chancroid, penile cancer, and possibly prostate cancer, phimosis, paraphimosis, thrush, and inflammatory skin conditions such as balanitis and balanoposthitis.

If its not worth protecting your boy from the above, thats your call. I would do it again and again and again.

Because they have no memory of it happening and no experience of the alternative.

If it causes distress to the parents and mutilation to the child, why defend the practice?

Drama. Its not mutilation.

Are you telling me my willy is mutilated? Many would disagree :hihi:

Even then I don't think that helps. Nobody is suggesting that it be banned as an elective procedure for adults who can consent, but even if men who choose to have it done as adults think that it's brilliant, that doesn't mean it should be done to babies.
Neither do I, but I was answering a specific point from Ian.

Actually, I can see the dilemma. If people whose religion specifies their need for this to happen at a certain time, and they really believe in it, what are they supposed to do? As opposed to it merely being a 'tradition' in their family, which doesn't imply a strong religious feeling about it.

If we're reluctant to 'ban the burqa', which is not even a religious requirement, how are we really going to attempt to ban infant circumcision, which actually is in Judaism and Islam?

Edited by rubydazzler
clarifucation for pedants!

Neither do I, but I was answering a specific point from Ian.

Actually, I can see the dilemma. If people whose religion specifies their need for this to happen at a certain time, and they really believe in it, what are they supposed to do? As opposed to it merely being a 'tradition' in their family, which doesn't imply a strong religious feeling about it.

If we're reluctant to 'ban the burqa', which is not even a religious requirement, how are we really going to attempt to ban circumcision, which actually is in Judaism and Islam?

Because they don't "force unconsenting defenceless babies" to wear a burqa.

So it's far less of an emotive subject :)