Looks like circumcision could be banned.

Nor do I, which is why I said if FGC was performed in similar manner to MGC. Medical setting, sharp knives, just lose a bit of skin.

You can't object to that surely?

I do, but I object to MGC in principle, whereas you don't.

like i said i know absolutely NOTHING about it so i cant comment

It's even safer and easier to leave it alone. No surgery is better than minor surgery.

Sometimes they do. Like the 'mentally ill' and 'coma' ideas already stated.

I'll put another question forward mel. Is it moral to put ear gauges in a baby? The procedure is safer and easier to do in young skin. They won't remember it, so any pain is forgotten.

never heard of ear gauges

but then this threads about circumcision

never heard of ear gauges

Stretching the ear lobe. I'm sure you'll know it.

This thread is about circumcision, but I can ask questions about what is moral and immoral to do to 8 day old babies. If we can cut them and remove part of their genitalia then surely we can pierce their ears and put small discs in. :)

apparently its a lot lot safer and easier to do it to a young child with no additional problems

parents dont really have that much say so in what an "adult" does or doesnt do

like i said earlier a young child doesnt remember what its like to have one so is NOT missing anything

so yes theres a difference

Actually it's much harder and riskier to do it to a baby than a consenting adult, or an adult in a coma, because a 1mm error in cut is much more damaging. For this reason adults don't require a curcumstraint.

thats the point, its up to parents to do whatever they can for the best for their child, whatever that entails.

whether its food, clothes, haircut whatever

Except with all of the above, the child can make a different choice when they are old enough. Amputation of the foreskin is pretty permanent, the freedom of choice is taken away.

There's no evidence to suggest it would be best for them.

if a child is circumcised does it really make that much difference? do they know theyre any different from others? do you think they go round examining others penises?

does it matter if a foreskin is missing?, really? its not like your heads missing you know

I doubt that if somebody's nipples were cut off at birth, they'd miss them as an adult. It doesn't mean parents should be allowed to force this act upon their children.

Most people probably don't have an issue with it (foreskin) missing. Upon Ian Dome's demands, I found these guys though, who seem to resent it.

That's not my point though, the point is that they don't have a choice.

im circumsized, it really doesnt inhibit me in any way, although i cant remember what its like to have a foreskin, maybe its good that a young child gets it done then you DONT know / remember what its like with?
Or even better, let them decide if they want it doing at ALL when they're older!

Is there a difference between parents electing to take away a foreskin of an adult, and parents electing to take a foreskin at 8 days old?

Yes, the adult can refuse, the child can't.

Stretching the ear lobe. I'm sure you'll know it.

This thread is about circumcision, but I can ask questions about what is moral and immoral to do to 8 day old babies. If we can cut them and remove part of their genitalia then surely we can pierce their ears and put small discs in. :)

ah

my mate jools the dwarf had that done, he moved up from mcdonalds straws to larger stuff, not heard of it being done on children tho, specially in this country, maybe its one of the native type rituals done in other countries like some i mentioned

like i said i know absolutely NOTHING about it so i cant comment

I'm sorry, but I'm really going to have to take that as a won't comment after you said "thats the point, its up to parents to do whatever they can for the best for their child, whatever that entails.whether its food, clothes, haircut whatever"

I think there is serious double standards a play here, not with you exactly, but with society. I suspect this inherent double standard is why you won't comment.

Let me expand on the analogy.

20 years ago, melthebelle had labiaplasty surgery when she was a girl. It was at the request of her parents, and whilst she was still in their care. It was done in a medical setting, safely, with sharp knives and anaesthetic. She is now quite ambivalent about it. She has no memory of the procedure, it was just a bit of skin, she thinks it looks better, believes her sex life is great, and believes her chances of contracting an STD or Vulval Cancer have been reduced.

Surely you must approve of the state granting melthebelle's parents request for FGC, just as you do with melthebell and MGC?

I've provided an accepted dictionary definition of the word "unwilling", the criteria of which is met by an infant child.

It is YOU now claiming that these criteria require the ability to be aware of the situation and make a conscious decision about it. You have provided no evidence to back up these claims, the ball is in your court.

The dictionary definition is not met by a child at all. As for evidence simply look at the etiology of the word - willing from will - an act of will. To act of ones own volition. An act of will takes a choice which an 8 day old baby can not do.