Sheftival Festival - 4th/5th August 2012

I thought it was great, saw a really good local band called Scrim on the barge, a cracking singer called Johnny Firth at the Thornbridge tent (with the coolest looking guy playing double bass with him, like he was one of the Stray Cats!) the beer was a bit expenive (although at least it was real ale, so thank you Thornbridge for that!), but you couldn't knock the line up; Carmen Ghia and the Hot Rods, The Crookes, The Selecter, Dodgy, Toots and the Maytals, Jungle Lion, The Beat, The Lightning Seeds.

Funniest bloke was MC Nige at the JuJu stage!

It wasnt entertaining for the 2hrs i was there, see previous post, it was rubbish and on the bowl (the area where you had to pay £12 to get in) it was virtually empty with people coming out saying how pants it was! I can only assume it was better at night, perhaps after 7ish. But there was no vibe, atmosphere or anything.

Were you there when the gates opened? I was there on the saturday from about 3pm and it definitely wasnt "virtually empty" and it filled up quite a bit before 5pm.

I think £12 is a good price to see acts of that nature - but I think sheffield folk are

a. spoiled with all the free festivals that are on

b "careful" with cash

Maybe they wanted the Rolling Stones, Madonna, Take That & U2 for that price? and then people would still be moaning...

Were you there when the gates opened? I was there on the saturday from about 3pm and it definitely wasnt "virtually empty" and it filled up quite a bit before 5pm.

I think £12 is a good price to see acts of that nature - but I think sheffield folk are

a. spoiled with all the free festivals that are on

b "careful" with cash

Maybe they wanted the Rolling Stones, Madonna, Take That & U2 for that price? and then people would still be moaning...

Clearly your not referring to me in that last paragraph if you have taken the time to read my posts.

Yeah, couldn't agree more. £12 for a whole day of bands and entertainment, I ask you. It's just like when I went to the cinema after Tramlines and they expected me to pay to get in - outrageous. Then afterwards, when I went to MacDonalds, I was astounded when they wanted some money for my Big Mac - they'd have a lot more people in there if they just gave away the food for nothing. They should just get volunteers to work in there and do that I reckon.

12 quid a ticket was more than reasonable imo but people that attend gigs like a drink and three n half quid a pint was just way over the top,infact i'd go as far to say it was just being greedy,its just said on radio sheff that 20 thousand people attended but they were expecting nearer 40,people won't be ripped off especially in todays financial climate......the o2 acadamy did it when madness played last year and i for one will give the place a wide birth from now on

p.s. its also just said that the shefival food outlets reckon they made a loss.........i wonder why that was ....

They're doing an announcement in the next few days about whether it'll happen again, one of the people involved said 9,000 - 10,000 wristbands got sold. To quote from their website, 'we are a not-for-profit event and any money made will immediately be invested into the city’s sporting and cultural events', which I presume includes Tramlines 2013 as some of the organisers are the same. Well done to them, it's great for the city that people are doing things like this

Beers in bars and pubs in town are £3 - £3.50 so the prices are in line. I agree, it would be nice if they were cheaper, but it's just not going to happen!

The Dance tent should have been on the grass in the main arena. Other than that I think they did a good job.

12 quid a ticket was more than reasonable imo but people that attend gigs like a drink and three n half quid a pint was just way over the top,infact i'd go as far to say it was just being greedy,its just said on radio sheff that 20 thousand people attended but they were expecting nearer 40,people won't be ripped off especially in todays financial climate......the o2 acadamy did it when madness played last year and i for one will give the place a wide birth from now on

p.s. its also just said that the shefival food outlets reckon they made a loss.........i wonder why that was ....

They allowed people to bring their own food and soft drink. Which, in this day and age, is a very fair way of doing things.

Archived