Driving is a luxury and a responsibility - not a right

I didn't see your other thread but I know where you're coming from. Driving seems to be the only activity where some people think its their right to break the law and be aggressive when they're in the wrong.

And when you point this out you get nothing but abuse because they have no valid arguments for their bad driving.

i have an excuse for mine, its frustration. the amount of cars that purposely pull over to the kerb so that i and the rest of people who cycle cant get ahead at the lights, or at a busy junction.

what do they think we are going to do? knock their precious wing mirrors or something?. we need time and space to get up to speed when we stop.

we have not got an engine for god sake. give us a chance.

to get away and up to speed safely, its doesnt matter to you if we are in front or not.

I had to argue to the boy racers (3 or 4 lads who were 17,18,19 so had not long since learned to drive so the rules should be fresh in their minds right?) that the speed limit was 70 on a dual carriageway because they believed the speed limit to be 60 on a dual carriageway but agreed that it was the national speed limit :loopy:

So the boy racers were driving too slowly?

I agree with the statement in your question. I think over-confidence is as bad as a lack of confidence though. Some people who drive a lot, for work purposes for example, need to remember that other drivers might not be as familiar with the route as they are. A bit more imagination and patience is required sometimes.

i have an excuse for mine, its frustration. the amount of cars that purposely pull over to the kerb so that i and the rest of people who cycle cant get ahead at the lights, or at a busy junction.

what do they think we are going to do? knock their precious wing mirrors or something?. we need time and space to get up to speed when we stop.

to get away and up to speed safely, its doesnt matter to you if we are in front or not.

You could just ride up the kerb, around the red lights then back onto the road. That's what most cyclists I encounter seem to do.

The speed limit on a dual carriageway is dependant on the vehicle being driven..

I didn't drive a van at the time of the conversation (obviously there are lower limits for large vans and lorries) all people in conversation were normal car drivers. I mentioned which carriageway was in question because it was that particular carriageway we were discussing, not dual carriageways in general.

So the boy racers were driving too slowly?

I agree with the statement in your question. I think over-confidence is as bad as a lack of confidence though. Some people who drive a lot, for work purposes for example, need to remember that other drivers might not be as familiar with the route as they are. A bit more imagination and patience is required sometimes.

No lol but they thought I was speeding, and they were speeding more than they were.

Totally agree. My Mum and best friend are nervous drivers and don't like to drive places they haven't been before. I probably used to get over confident in my car when driving to work and back, going on autopilot, but I can't let this happen in the van as my equipment would get ruined. Since driving the van, I have better awareness and know what to look out for better when I pass other vans etc.

I have always been a curtious driver though,

The roads out there are full of looneys who have passed a basic driving test,the minimum standard required by law to drive on the roads,a lot of these people think that gives them the skills of a rally driver and the highway code is a thing of the past to be completely ignored as is the respect to other drivers and pedestrians and I must stress it is not always the chavs to blame.I see serious bad driving every day around the Parkway and the Wicker area and it is dangerous,these people are messing with other peoples lives and should be stopped and there licences be revoked.

The roads out there are full of looneys who have passed a basic driving test,the minimum standard required by law to drive on the roads,a lot of these people think that gives them the skills of a rally driver and the highway code is a thing of the past to be completely ignored as is the respect to other drivers and pedestrians and I must stress it is not always the chavs to blame.I see serious bad driving every day around the Parkway and the Wicker area and it is dangerous,these people are messing with other peoples lives and should be stopped and there licences be revoked.

I totally agree.

I think 'old' people are as problematic on the roads as 'boy racers'. Roads are so different to what they were when they passed their test and their awareness isn't up to the pace of traffic sometimes. i think everyone should have to take a retest every ten years or something.

i think people don't realise that anyone can have a driving lesson, not just learners. So if you are nervous about something like roundabouts or motorways, have a couple of lessons to give you the confidence/help you need.

BTW I don't claim to be the perfect driver, I just do my best and take driving quite seriously. there's not just driving to take into consideration either, car maintenance and good tyres can save lives when you think about it.. but that's another topic!

there are lower limits for large vans

Lower limits for vans not just large vans ... the only vans that can be driven at car limits are those that are both:

- car-derived vans AND

- < 2 tonnes gvw.

There aren't that many car-derived vans on the road these days (corsa van etc) but there are plenty of in-betweeners size-wise:

E.g. VW Caddys and Ford Connects are not car-derived vans so van limits apply to them.

Lower limits for vans not just large vans ... the only vans that can be driven at car limits are those that are both:

- car-derived vans AND

- < 2 tonnes gvw.

There aren't that many car-derived vans on the road these days (corsa van etc) but there are plenty of in-betweeners size-wise:

E.g. VW Caddys and Ford Connects are not car-derived vans so van limits apply to them.

Well i wasn't actually aware there was a lower limit for vans until we got the grooming van and my husband took me out for a few lessons and told me then. I was terrified of driving it at first.

most cyclist seem ,when their allowed to the front of traffic , set off from the lights mind numbingly slowly "cars" them have to drive accordingly or try to pass said cyclist without killing them,heart in mouth.who,s going to be frustrated the most, the majority car drivers or few in number cyclists. get to the back of the queue where you cant cause problems

Archived