Driving is a luxury and a responsibility - not a right

After a recent thread I commented got closed (I'm unaware for the reason why) I just wanted to point out the reason for my comments, the reason being above.

I was criticised for using the word 'hate' too many times or simply at all. I realise how that may have come across but in my opinion, driving should be taken very seriously.

I drive my grooming van and if i were to be involved in a crash, I would lose my career as it is, that I have worked so hard for, I would lose a lot of money and I could even lose my life. So, yes, I do 'hate' it when people act irresponsibly on the road as the risks are too high for the driver, passengers and anyone else on the road.

I know everyone makes mistakes, I have made plenty, and i am a forgiving person. But if you are not competent, confident or responsible on the road, you should only be on it via public transport IMO. Accidents will always happen but we should follow the highway code and do our best to avoid them.

I hope I haven't caused any offence ot anyone but this has been at the back of my mind and I needed to get it off my chest so thank you for reading and please feel free to express your opinion :)

While I agree with most of your post, driving is not a luxury, for some its a necessity for those who live out in the country and have no bus service.

I'm not sure what this thread is about?

The title has no bearing on comments so far...we've gone from "boy racers" to "Oldies" to "cyclists"..."speed limits on dual carriageways"............

If the title is the subject, then you are mistaken.

It's definately not a luxury for those living in the countryside...it's a necessity.

Responsibilty I'll agree with. That's why we have rules.

Not a right? What a load of.......

Everyone has the right to drive providing they are competent and pass the required driving test for the vehicle they are driving.

The title has no bearing on comments so far...we've gone from "boy racers" to "Oldies" to "cyclists"..."speed limits on dual carriageways"............

It's definately not a luxury for those living in the countryside...it's a necessity.

Everyone has the right to drive providing they are competent and pass the required driving test for the vehicle they are driving.

Agree with both your first and second points.

While I agree with most of your post, driving is not a luxury, for some its a necessity for those who live out in the country and have no bus service.

Sorry, i disagree. My parents live out in the sticks where there's no bus route and you have to walk four miles to a small train station where trains are infrequent, this was where I grew up. It can be very difficult and it certainly was when I was in my teens but I still believe driving is a luxury that we 'buy'.

It's a necessity because of our life styles and modern living but modern living is full of luxuries.

I totally agree.

I think 'old' people are as problematic on the roads as 'boy racers'. Roads are so different to what they were when they passed their test and their awareness isn't up to the pace of traffic sometimes. i think everyone should have to take a retest every ten years or something.

i think people don't realise that anyone can have a driving lesson, not just learners. So if you are nervous about something like roundabouts or motorways, have a couple of lessons to give you the confidence/help you need.

BTW I don't claim to be the perfect driver, I just do my best and take driving quite seriously. there's not just driving to take into consideration either, car maintenance and good tyres can save lives when you think about it.. but that's another topic!

Whoa! dont even go there ,old people have far more experience and have learned more sense than to go tearing about,the insurance companies will tell you which group are the safest drivers and it reflects in the premiums.

The thread has grown and we've discussed driving in general.

My original post was made because I felt bad about the impression I'd given out on a previous thread that had been closed so I couldn't explain myself.

How is driving a right? We buy our cars, pay to learn to drive, buy our licenses, pay road tax and insurance and buy fuel. We could manage without cars, it just wouldn't fit in our mordern way of life, the way we choose to live in modern society. I don't think that makes it a right IMO.

Whoa! dont even go there ,old people have far more experience and have learned more sense than to go tearing about,the insurance companies will tell you which group are the safest drivers and it reflects in the premiums.

Yeh, I really don't get why the older generations get cheaper insurance. My Dad turns 50 next year and I poked fun saying he would be entitled to cheaper insurance now he is getting 'old' (I don't consider 50 to be old btw).

He even said, he feels less aware on the roads than he used to, and he's a good driver.

Ah but living in the countryside is a lifestyle choice so if you've chosen to be reliant on your car then it's a luxury. A necessity is something we must have in order to live - you can't say that about owning a car can you?

Ah but living in the countryside is a lifestyle choice so if you've chosen to be reliant on your car then it's a luxury. A necessity is something we must have in order to live - you can't say that about owning a car can you?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We seem to think more and more things are our 'right' in life these days.

I didn't see your other thread but I know where you're coming from. Driving seems to be the only activity where some people think its their right to break the law

That's certainly not true. Look at the number of people in court for assault, the amount of littering that goes on, etc...

and be aggressive when they're in the wrong.

This is probably down to them not believing they are in the wrong, or not being capable of dealing with criticism (neither of which justify this response of course).

And when you point this out you get nothing but abuse because they have no valid arguments for their bad driving.

Which follows from their inability to deal with criticism or accept that they could be wrong.

Archived