Child Trust Funds - A waste of time and money?

We've recently received our annual review for our child trust funds. We didn't put much in last year -only £132 per child. They have the same type of account. Despite paying in £132 per child last year, their actual balance has gone up only £71.41 this year. So where has the other £60.59 gone? I'm no mathematician but even I can see that's almost half of what we've put in that is not showing on the balance. If I'd have put it straight into a bank account at least I'd have what I started with. Am I right to be cheesed off? Can the Child Trust Fund providers get away with this? Should I follow my instinct and cancel future direct debits? Will I incur a penalty? Can I ask them to just manage the account as it stands, without paying anything else in? Sorry to bombard you with questions, I'm just really out for any advice, please.

Did you choose a stakeholder or shareholder account rather than just savings when you opened? That's the only think I can think of which would make your balances differ from what you've paid in...

Mine drops sometimes, then the next year goes up by more than what was paid in, its invested in shares so as share values drop, so does the account value. As they drop they're supposed to buy them out and invest elsewhere though, to try to ensure the best value. My daughter's original £500 has (in May this year) become £1200, but my Nan pays £100 a year in (I haven't bothered myself, since the value dropped in its first year), and its 8 years old.

Mine drops sometimes, then the next year goes up by more than what was paid in, its invested in shares so as share values drop, so does the account value. As they drop they're supposed to buy them out and invest elsewhere though, to try to ensure the best value. My daughter's original £500 has (in May this year) become £1200, but my Nan pays £100 a year in (I haven't bothered myself, since the value dropped in its first year), and its 8 years old.

I get the feeling I'm just paying for inflated bankers' salaries, that are not looking after my money, like a mug.

Archived