Assisted-Suicide or Murder? - The Tony Nicklinson Story

Beg to differ I'm afraid. It should be everyone's business if you're asking someone else to end your life.

Indeed, next week it could be someone I know and I might be the one being asked to help.

That half the thread is debating this obvious and unambiguous post is a bit depressing :(

But it's a two-way agreement. Both the person who wants to die has to want to die, and the people that love them have to want them to die as well.

If you claimed you wanted to die because of depression, your loved ones and/or medical team would not want you to die because they would know it was the "depression-talking".

A couple of my friends succeeded in killing themselves during depressive episodes. Because they were being bitten, at that time, by their "black-dogs" they could not see the alternative. All they could see was bleakness and futility. Whilstever I am not being bitten by the black dog, I can see hope and happiness. During the biting-time, things feel hopeless and futile.

(My bold) I would certainly hope that, even if I, personally, could not see beyond the black-dog, my family and other loved-ones would be able to distinguish between a genuine desire to die, and the "depression talking"

Both the person who wants to die has to want to die, and the people that love them have to want them to die as well.

When my mother had the brain haemorrhage which eventually took her life 2 1/2 years later, it was torture, watching her "exist" in a similar condition to this gentleman. We as her family, were torn, as we did not want to lose her, but at the same time, we did not want her to be suffering in this manner.

This gentleman is in a catch 22 situation. He would, presumably, not wish to end his life, were he not in such awful circumstances, but because of the physical limitations he has, he wished to do so, but cannot physically carry out the act.

I personally feel he should be allowef to die.he is of sound mind and has considered every other option. He has tried to live his current life to please his family and friends but can no longer live in his current state. I find it shocking that a man who cant even use a toilett without his wife helping him is beggin to die and it has to be taken to court for a decision. I work in a breeding centre for animals and everyday any animal ispain or suffering is put down so this suffering is not prolonged. They dont have to beg or go to court. My sister works as a career for the elderly and disabelled and with several people in similar positions as tony. She is begged daily to put them out of their missery yet all she can do is offer pain killers.

I cant believe that people are left in these conditions when animals are put down for a fraction of the suffering.

• 2 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19341722

I see that the fella with 'locked in syndrome' who lost his court battle for someone to assist him to die passed away this morning. RIP.

Did he just give up on life and will himself to go? Is that possible?

It's often said of old people, who just give up!

I know a lady very well who cares for elderly people. She knows of several who have a wish to die as life has become that harsh for them under the tory regime. One of them died about a month ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19341722

I see that the fella with 'locked in syndrome' who lost his court battle for someone to assist him to die passed away this morning. RIP.

Did he just give up on life and will himself to go? Is that possible?

It's often said of old people, who just give up!

Absolute shame very brave man, may he now rest in peace, now he IS at rest I understand his reasoning but yes it does make you wonder. Got to admit the news brought a lump to my throat.

RIP very brave man.

I know a lady very well who cares for elderly people. She knows of several who have a wish to die as life has become that harsh for them under the tory regime. One of them died about a month ago.

I'm not sure a wish to die can be attributed to a Tory regime!...We'd all be dropping like flies if that were the case! :hihi:

I think its possible, my great aunt had dementia and I went to visit her one day and she just looked so tired and drained, so I asked her if she wanted us to leave so she could rest, and she said yes and that she wanted to say bye to us first, which she never did before and then she passed away in her sleep that night. I think sometimes keeping yourself alive is a bit of a struggle if you're ill, and that if you just give up one day, you could probably pass on.

Archived