Assisted-Suicide or Murder? - The Tony Nicklinson Story

But one cannot lawfully 'want' someone to break criminal law.

So what he wanted- that a doctor be exculpated from the consequences of murder- was never achievable.

Why is there a difference between this and a DNR notice? Genuine question..

No, it's not "uncaring". Yes, I've very considerable first hand experience of a human being in turmoil, just so's you know, but that does not change the facts: the only way out that he could envisage was to die. Worse, he wanted to have the law of murder waived as a favour to him.

No he didn't.

No he didn't.

Really? It's just that http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19341722 says this (with my underlining):

Tony Nicklinson, a man with locked-in syndrome who fought for the right for doctors to legally end his life, has died...Mr Nicklinson wanted the "right-to-die" yet was unable to take his own life or take a cocktail of lethal drugs prepared for him. He would need to be killed by someone else, which would constitute murder.

I suppose, technically, he did...

On a technical level I suppose he did. But what he actually wanted was to be able to end his life in a quiet, peaceful and dignified way.

The mental image of someone murdering him sort of brings images of shooting him or stabbing or some other 'horrible way to go'.

So if he refused food all last week, is there not someone who was responsible for allowing that to happen? Where does the law stand on that issue?

On a technical level I suppose he did. But what he actually wanted was to be able to end his life in a quiet, peaceful and dignified way.

The mental image of someone murdering him sort of brings images of shooting him or stabbing or some other 'horrible way to go'.

So if he refused food all last week, is there not someone who was responsible for allowing that to happen? Where does the law stand on that issue?

See my post above ...#143

Really? It's just that http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19341722 says this (with my underlining):

Tony Nicklinson, a man with locked-in syndrome who fought for the right for doctors to legally end his life, has died...Mr Nicklinson wanted the "right-to-die" yet was unable to take his own life or take a cocktail of lethal drugs prepared for him. He would need to be killed by someone else, which would constitute murder.

If the law was changed to allow doctors to legally kill someone in Tony Nicklinson's condition, with appropriate safeguards in place, would it still be defined as murder?

Archived