Assisted-Suicide or Murder? - The Tony Nicklinson Story

Yes really, the law of murder wouldn’t change, it would still be the unlawful premeditated killing of another human, assisted suicide wouldn't be lawful, so wouldn’t be murder.

Too many 'nots'? If assisted suicide wouldn't be lawful, it would be unlawful, i.e. murder.

I was listening to the radio at a woman who quite honestly shouldn't of been given air time. She said more than once that this would put all disabled people at risk and then started bleating on about the poor disabled children who would be killed off.

My own opinion about Tony is let him die with dignity and at a time of his choosing.

No, it's not "uncaring". Yes, I've very considerable first hand experience of a human being in turmoil, just so's you know, but that does not change the facts: the only way out that he could envisage was to die. Worse, he wanted to have the law of murder waived as a favour to him.

I don't believe it is changing the law of murder, he wanted to die with dignity, he wanted assisted suicide & the person who helped him free from prosecution. He did not have the means to do it himself as he could not move, I'm nowhere as near as bad as Tony was, but trust me; I still have times when I wish I could fall asleep & not wake up, that way I would not be a burden on my family.

If I could have someone to help me & not get prosecuted I'd take it.

OK- as a "Devil's Advocate" question, how do you rebut those understandable fears?

Are they understandable as she didn't seem particularily clued up at all and I doubt that there''d be thousands of people suddenly appearing so surely the very few cases could be taken on a case by case decision, There are going to be an awful lot of knee jerk reactions and probably quite a few out spoken people who are going to try and muddy the waters but until some-one actually tries to get a law passed then it's difficult to say how it would work as none of the safe guards have been discussed or even considered by parliament

Archived