Assisted-Suicide or Murder? - The Tony Nicklinson Story

why is it your business if I want to die? Clearly the answer is it's not!

But you don't just want to die..you want someone else to perform that task for you..or are you arguing that your wish that someone else takes the responsibility for your death has nothing to do with them?

I don't understand. Do you know this man? How is it your business that he wants to end his life? He clearly has an unpleasant existence with little or no quality of life its his choice that he wants to end that. Why should he not be allowed to do that and why does it involve you or me in that choice?

Because you or me..or someone has to "pull the plug".

No, I don't know this man as you don't. Equally though he could be your father, brother, friend?

But you don't just want to die..you want someone else to perform that task for you..

So if two parties are happy with that, what does it matter to you? If a doctor is happy to do it, and the patient is happy to have it done; how does it affect you?

No, I don't know this man as you don't. Equally though he could be your father, brother, friend?

I'd support my family or friends if they wanted to end their life due to severe ill health.

But you don't just want to die..you want someone else to perform that task for you..or are you arguing that your wish that someone else takes the responsibility for your death has nothing to do with them?

Because you or me..or someone has to "pull the plug".

If someone I love will do it for me, or if a doctor was willing (preferable) it is still none of your business!

So if two parties are happy with that, what does it matter to you? If a doctor is happy to do it, and the patient is happy to have it done; how does it affect you?

I'd support my family or friends if they wanted to end their life due to severe ill health.

I wasn't arguing against assisted. I was arguing the argument that it has nothing to do with anyone else. Everyone is "everyone else" other than the person wanting to end his life...even family.

it has nothing to do with anyone else. Everyone is "everyone else" other than the person wanting to end his life...even family.

But it doesn't essentially. If one man has a wish to die, then any effect on family and friends does not stop that. They have no right to force him to live in misery. This is even more important when people who are not affected in the slightest have an input.

I wasn't arguing against assisted. I was arguing the argument that it has nothing to do with anyone else. Everyone is "everyone else" other than the person wanting to end his life...even family.

At the end of the day it is your decision not your families... or it should be

If someone I love will do it for me, or if a doctor was willing (preferable) it is still none of your business!

Of course it's my business as it is yours. You in the future could become like the person we're discussing, you in the future might be asked to pull the plug. It isn't isolated, there are probably hundreds if not thousands who wish to take their lives based on their value of life.

If it has nothing to do with anyone else then ring the guy and offer to do it for him?

Of course it's my business as it is yours. You in the future could become like the person we're discussing, you in the future might be asked to pull the plug. It isn't isolated, there are probably hundreds if not thousands who wish to take their lives based on their value of life.

If it has nothing to do with anyone else then ring the guy and offer to do it for him?

And why should you have any say in what I choose to do with my body-you shouldn't. No-one is arguing for anyone to be forced to die so it could not affect you less.

Why shouldn't those hundreds or thousands be allowed the choice? That is an argument for it not against it!

The point is that currently helping him might be classed as murder! I wouldn't do that for someone I don't know but I don't think I could refuse someone I loved. I would rather it was done by a doctor but as that is not an option it would have to be done in a more painful way.

If it was legal, I would consider the job. I think it would be such a worthy vocation. I am not going to say I could do it because I am not sure I could but I am not sure I could put down a rabbit either-that doesn't make it wrong!

It should be the right of any individual to end their own life, even if they're perfectly able bodied and healthy. I have absolutely no compromise on that position.

As soon as you exit your mother's womb you are an individual and you have complete sovereignty over your body. There is no way around it - either you believe in self ownership or you believe someone else owns you. To deny someone the right to end their life is to deny them the right to self ownership.

And why should you have any say in what I choose to do with my body-you shouldn't. No-one is arguing for anyone to be forced to die so it could not affect you less.

Why shouldn't those hundreds or thousands be allowed the choice? That is an argument for it not against it!

The point is that currently helping him might be classed as murder! I wouldn't do that for someone I don't know but I don't think I could refuse someone I loved. I would rather it was done by a doctor but as that is not an option it would have to be done in a more painful way.

If it was legal, I would consider the job. I think it would be such a worthy vocation. I am not going to say I could do it because I am not sure I could but I am not sure I could put down a rabbit either-that doesn't make it wrong!

I'm not arguing 'for or against'. You're arguing that it has nothing to do with anyone else..if that's the case then why the legalities? The reason for legalities is because it directly effects you me or anyone else.

On a personal one to one basis the question has no relevance to someone 2000 miles away..that I understand..but the implication is as important as if he were my own kin.

Archived