Assisted-Suicide or Murder? - The Tony Nicklinson Story

Those are the people i refer to,and one of the questions raised, who is going to end their life for them, and how could we be certain that abuse wouldn't happen?.

They could have a list of doctors who would agree to it. They will be at least one doctor in each city who would administer a fatal dose with their full consent. But after its been granted by a judge though, those doctors who are against it, won't need to apply

But why should any person be authorised to kill another at all?

Because it’s sensible to authorise people to kill other people, I was trained to kill people and in the right circumstances killing someone isn’t an issue. Humans have been killing each other since they day we could walk and if we hadn’t I imagine we would all be starving because the population would be significantly bigger.

Those are the people i refer to,and one of the questions raised, who is going to end their life for them, and how could we be certain that abuse wouldn't happen?.

We couldn't, but we could do a lot to minimise the risks of abuse.

Having recently witnessed what I'd consider to have been a very good death, I've had reason to consider all this stuff from a personal perspective.

I used to be very much an adherent to the 'slippery slope theory'; I'm no longer sure. I think perhaps if I were in a really dire state I might welcome the opportunity to take my leave on my own terms.

But the danger is that you make this decision now when you are well and then when you are ill you change your mind but aren't able to verbalise this.

What then ?

I die and won't spend any time worrying about it; some people really do spend a lot of time worrying about dying even though it’s inevitable.

But the danger is that you make this decision now when you are well and then when you are ill you change your mind but aren't able to verbalise this.

What then ?

You could make the decision and then have the fatal dose when it's needed, doesnt have to be day after you make the decision. If you changed your mind then you changed your mind and you won't need to take it

There will be plenty of people happy to end someone suffering, and we can never be certain abuse wouldn't happen but abuse happens already in all walks of life and it doesn't stop us doing things.

I'm sure though there could be some reasonable safe guards put in place.

I knew my dog was suffering, the vet agreed that my dog was suffering, he couldn’t alleviate that suffering or give my dog a reasonable quality of life, so was happy to end my dogs life, I was upset but happy to see an end to my dogs suffering.

We couldn't, but we could do a lot to minimise the risks of abuse.

Having recently witnessed what I'd consider to have been a very good death, I've had reason to consider all this stuff from a personal perspective.

I used to be very much an adherent to the 'slippery slope theory'; I'm no longer sure. I think perhaps if I were in a really dire state I might welcome the opportunity to take my leave on my own terms.

You could easily stop people abusing it if you have to go through the right channels. How could people abuse it then?.. The abusers wouldnt go through this channel, they would think of another way to kill them without their consent

You could easily stop people abusing it if you have to go through the right channels. How could people abuse it then?.. The abusers wouldnt go through this channel, they would think of another way to kill them without their consent

Harold Shipman aka Dr.death had his own idea on this subject.

Harold Shipman aka Dr.death had his own idea on this subject.

No that is different. If terminally ill went through the proper law that would be created then that wouldn't happen. I'm not talking about discussing your suffering to a doctor. The doctor would just come at the end and either pass it to you or administer it if you can't. That would be the only involvement you would need with this doctor

It could be abused by family coercing the person into feeling like they were a burden,, and feel that they ought to do this, rather than making a rational decision for themselves.

Archived