Assisted-Suicide or Murder? - The Tony Nicklinson Story

I think he, along with myself and others is saying that everyone should have the right to choose how and when they die, which must include those people that are incapable of committing suicide. As it stands I could kill myself in many different ways, some of those ways would involve trauma to others, jumping in front of a bus for instance. It would make more sense for assisted suicide to be legal so that suicide can be both painless and dignified.

Yes. That's what I'm arguing for- the right of all people who've made a clear, rational decision to end their life, to have the means to do so. And, for those who are so physically disabled to end their own life, they shoudl have the option of enlisting support to carry out their wish.

But why should that be an issue, let’s assume you and I are involved in a car crash and we both suffer the same injuries, we are both paralysed from the neck down and incapable of caring for ourselves. My wish would be to die; I have expressed that wish to my children and wife, so I would hope that if the law allowed it I would be killed painlessly.

You on the other hand have expressed a wish to live in which case you are given as much care as possible, in fact because I chose to die there would be more resources for your care.

The difference with Tony was that he couldn't talk, he was not just paralysed..he couldn't join in any conversation

Can you hear what your saying? So if I kill myself now it's okay is it.. I'm healthy and fit yet coz I was unhappy with life I wanted to kill myself....now that is when you move on to selfishness..what about my family I would leave behind...What about my kids?

Suppose I lost all my family in an accident, I would want to die, I would be capable of killing myself and would, I would do it in a way that didn't involve anyone else. Now suppose I was in the accident with my family but paralysed, I would now be incapable of killing myself, so for now would have to suffer the remainder of my life without the people I loved.

Can you hear what your saying? So if I kill myself now it's okay is it.. I'm healthy and fit yet coz I was unhappy with life I wanted to kill myself....now that is when you move on to selfishness..what about my family I would leave behind...What about my kids?

??

You're currently entitled, by law, to commit suicide- that's not the issue being discussed.

If you do carry out your legal entitlement to end your life, then any family affected by it would have to cope in much the same way they would if your life had ended in any other way, for example, if you had a heart attack or fatal accident. It's not pleasant, but neither is it unusual- everybody, at some point will experience the loss of a loved one.

The issue being discussed here is the right of severly disabled people to also have the option to exercise their right to end their life- for which, in many cases, assistence would be required. Such assistence is currently not legal- I'm arguing that it should be permitted.

I'm talking about having a lethal dose..the drink you have that finishes you off...people who jump off bridges have not commited suicide have they? Coz its not against the law to do that

Well, if they're not alive after the landing, then yes, they have committed suicide.

'Suicide' means 'to take your own life'.

Archived