Assisted-Suicide or Murder? - The Tony Nicklinson Story

Ok.."miserable" was a bit of a long shot. Defining a reason to assist under your description of "severely ill" could be as equally a long shot..I mean what is "severely ill"? If we were to blindly ask everyone on the forum what that means in relation to assisted suicide my guess would be there would be many differences of opinion.

which is why there could not be a one size fits all policy but it doesn't form an argument against anyone getting this kind of help.

If somebody not of sound-mind is allowed an assisted suicide, then there is a risk of harm, and this shouldn't be allowed.

Mill's argument would be that it isn't anyone else's judgement. If a man of unsound state wants to do something that can only hurt himself, nobody has the right to stop him. If he wants to drink to oblivion then nobody has the right to stop him, providing that he only hurts himself.

The liberal view would be that a man should be allowed to commit suicide should he wish.

Yet, we now have the "only hurt himself" part to contend with, for if a man has family then does he not have a duty towards them?

Defining a reason to assist under your description of "severely ill" could be as equally a long shot..I mean what is "severely ill"?

I disagree. I don't think it's a long shot to call 'locked-in syndrome' a severe illness. Not by any means.

If we were to blindly ask everyone on the forum what that means in relation to assisted suicide my guess would be there would be many differences of opinion.

Another person's view is worthless. If they want to live with an illness that is their choice. If TN wants the option of dying then that is his choice.

I disagree. I don't think it's a long shot to call 'locked-in syndrome' a severe illness. Not by any means.

Another person's view is worthless. If they want to live with an illness that is their choice. If TN wants the option of dying then that is his choice.

Or it should be!

The reason I don't understand the argument against this is that we are only arguing for a right to choose! Nothing is being inflicted on anyone so who is being harmed?

If he broke the law, murder.

Morally, from my viewpoint, I don't think I could do it even if I wanted to.

thats not a moral answer:huh:

Can you murder someone with consent? I guess you can legally but to me that needs a different word!

Morally definitely not!

I'm not even sure I agree with the need for someone to be "of sound mind":huh: What if the reason someone wants assisted suicide is that they are completely insane and that is what is making their life unbearable. Its probably a sensible safeguard though I guess.

Archived