Assisted-Suicide or Murder? - The Tony Nicklinson Story

The thing that get's me about this discussion is that those that disagree with providing a legal framework that allows for euthanasia and assisted-suicide will retain the choice to die a prolonged painful death if they want. There would be no change for them, it is simply resisting change for others and restricting their choice.

Same applies to many discussions like this; "I wouldn't choose XYZ for myself, and I don't see why we should allow others to choose XYZ even though it won't effect me in the slightest. I just don't like it".

:huh:

I love it when someone can put my thoughts into English-I am not good at it:D

Indeed we could. That's why it interests me.

Equally, that is also a reason why it should be legal for a man to have assistance in his own death if he finds himself incapable of doing it on his own. We should have a legal framework that allows for euthanasia and assisted-suicide.

Agreed. I also wonder how incapacity can be perceived to be forced upon someone even though their not that incapacitated. That isn't a reflection on Tony Nicklinson btw.

I'd be concerned that if someone in my position listened more to the "depression-talking", than Ration, then they may make the decision to die, even if they don't really wish to. (of course, that may be precisely what happens in practice anyway!)

If someone chooses to die, is it not quite patronising to question whether they wished to? If they didn't wish to, they wouldn't do it, and I know from personal experience even clinically depressed people do not take suicide lightly. How long should they have to suffer before they discover they were glad they didn't choose to die, if at all that time should come at some point in the (bearable) future?

That's ultimately their wager and their choice, not yours or mine. Of course, we can try and help them see the light, but only they know how bearable their suffering is.

The thing that get's me about this discussion is that those that disagree with providing a legal framework that allows for euthanasia and assisted-suicide will retain the choice to die a prolonged painful death if they want. There would be no change for them, it is simply resisting change for others and restricting their choice.

Same applies to many discussions like this; "I wouldn't choose XYZ for myself, and I don't see why we should allow others to choose XYZ even though it won't effect me in the slightest. I just don't like it".

:huh:

That would be fine if you could point to "those" that disagree with providing a legal framework. I don't think anyone has.

This is also a discrimination issue imho.

Laws against suicide prevailed in English common law until 1961. It is now legal for an able bodied person to attempt to commit suicide, but illegal for some disabled people to do so.

Able bodied people have the right to die, disabled people do not.

That would be fine if you could point to "those" that disagree with providing a legal framework. I don't think anyone has.

you don't seem to have an opinion? so why have you commented?

You have agreed that the law is constantly evolving but you seem to be saying that you agree with things that are legal and disagree with things that aren't:huh: What is your opinion (assume there is no law)?

Just type the words "Daily" and "Mail" into Google, and that should point you to a few people.

This is also a discrimination issue imho.

Laws against suicide prevailed in English common law until 1961. It is now legal for an able bodied person to attempt to commit suicide, but illegal for some disabled people to do so.

Able bodied people have the right to die, disabled people do not.

I didn't know that! I was umming and ahing about it being discriminatory based on the fact that a disabled person might be unable to do the illegal action of suicide. If its legal then I will stop umming and ahing and agree it is discriminatory!

you don't seem to have an opinion? so why have you commented?

Is there a reason I shouldn't other than disagreeing with you on the issue that its no one's business?

You have agreed that the law is constantly evolving

Yes I agreed that the law is constantly evolving..but I knew that anyway. Not rocket science.

but you seem to be saying that you agree with things that are legal and disagree with things that aren't:huh:

Dunno where you got that from...and all from me not having an opinion.

What is your opinion (assume there is no law)?

Why do you need my opinion..it's no ones business, right?

And now to work.

Is there a reason I shouldn't other than disagreeing with you on the issue that its no one's business?

Yes I agreed that the law is constantly evolving..but I knew that anyway. Not rocket science.

Dunno where you got that from...and all from me not having an opinion.

Why do you need my opinion..it's no ones business, right?

And now to work.

I was wondering why your posts seemed devoid of any point-I have my answer:hihi:

Archived