Thinking of buying an electronic book reader

Mine didn't come with a wall charger :( and they're £20.

I hate having to charge it thru computer.

But I love love love my Kindle, best purchase I've EVER made.

Strange, mine did. Which model did you get? I have the kindle with keyboard and wireless (no 3G). Still at least you don't have to charge it very often, mine usually lasts 3 to 4 weeks between charges and I use it every day.

jb

Strange, mine did. Which model did you get? I have the kindle with keyboard and wireless (no 3G).

jb

Mines the £89 one without the keyboard? Maybe that's part of the reason the keyboard ones are more expensive too?

Very unfair too. I bought mine from currys and got a £10 off voucher, and not once did they actually have the charger in store or for delivery. So I've just not bothered.

Really? Mine came with a charger.

jb

they don't anymore, just a USB lead, which is crap if you want to take your kindle on holiday, you have to take a laptop or similar as well. its a crappy trick that dupes people into thinking the kindle is cheaper than it is.

Why buy a piece of cheap crap which doesn't even do the job of the kindle when you can buy a kindle for £90 (or even a kobo for £50)?

jb

my dad bought a cheap android tab, it does everything a kindle does and obv. infinitely more. its the difference between buying a calculator and a laptop.

Mines the £89 one without the keyboard? Maybe that's part of the reason the keyboard ones are more expensive too?

Very unfair too. I bought mine from currys and got a £10 off voucher, and not once did they actually have the charger in store or for delivery. So I've just not bothered.

Yeah, just checked on Amazon and that is indeed the case.

jb

my dad bought a cheap android tab, it does everything a kindle does and obv. infinitely more. its the difference between buying a calculator and a laptop.

Does your dads cheap Android have E-ink? Does the battery on your dads cheap Android last for a month? Can you read your dads cheap Android in bright sunlight?

jb

I am wanting some like the kindle but a little cheaper if possible

I am not botherd if it does not hold thousands of book, I'm just little for something a little more simple so the place is no longer clutterd with new books.

dont go for the cheaper china models i had a Chinese iphone it was terrible

they don't anymore, just a USB lead, which is crap if you want to take your kindle on holiday, you have to take a laptop or similar as well. its a crappy trick that dupes people into thinking the kindle is cheaper than it is.

USB chargers cost next to nothing & most rechargeable devices use usb now. You can use your phone charger, or buy another one from a pound shop. Don't be conned into paying £10+ just for a charger. The accessories are where the retailer makes their profit.

Kobos are great, cheaper than Kindles & they use epub books (open standard, used by everything except kindle). Mum has a Kobo touch & she loves it. The basic Kobo looks a bit too basic, but the Kobo touch is around the same price as the basic Kindle, maybe a bit less & the touch screen makes it easier to use. I don't know about Kindles, but Kobos have a microSD card slot, so you can add a cheap memory card for another 20,000 books or so if you start running out of space.

If you just want to read books on it, then you can't beat an ebook reader with an e-ink display with a tablet, it's just not the same thing. E-Ink doesn't cause eye strain, it's not backlit, it works outside in sunlight too.

Does your dads cheap Android have E-ink? Does the battery on your dads cheap Android last for a month? Can you read your dads cheap Android in bright sunlight?

jb

no, no and yes.

btw what the hell is e-ink?!!

E-Ink It looks more like a printed page than a screen, it's low power - only uses power to refresh the screen, so a fairly small battery lasts for ages. It's a much better technology for reading ebooks with, compared to a tft or oled screen. Looks like this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bouquin_%C3%A9lectronique_iLiad_en_plein_soleil.jpg

Kindles have them, Kobos have them, so does any other non-colour ebook reader.

E-Ink is no good for moving pictures, the refresh rate is slow, it doesn't do colour either, so it's no good for a general purpose tablet, but it's ideal if you just want to read books.

An ebook reader is half the weight of even the smallest cheap tablets too, so it's easier to hold & read a book for a while.

Archived