Thai Boxing for beginners

To me, Thai boxing, kickboxing n etc are all essentially the same unless you were specifically looking to compete. For Thai only you're looking at thranapon (don't know spelling, in aftercliffe, wickercamp n now Kombat sports. I have only been to wickercamp, it's good if u were looking for female only it's Sunday's only. There's alot more choice if u were ok with mixed groups.

That is very true, a lot of Kickboxing gyms these days do things in a very similar fashion to what the Thai Gyms do.

the differences will be very small and specific but essentially the basic techniques are the same.

BOTH thai and kick punch pretty much like Boxers.

BOTH thai and kick use Thai-Pads in training.

BOTH thai and kick would Roundhouse kick with the shins

BOTH thai and kick would block a Roundhouse kick using the shins.

When it comes to how a bout is scored however, well thats where the difference lies.

I am the chief instructor of AFK and last night in our Beginners class we did combinations against Thai Pads such as:

1. Right Cross- Double Left Body Kick (landed with the shin )

2. Left Hook - Double Right Body Kick (again with the shin LOL)

3. Right Cross- Right Elbow-Right Knee

Those are just examples of a few combinations all of which will be taught exactly the same way in any of the Thaiboxing gyms mentioned above ;)

Archived