Why are light fittings in older homes not in the centre of the room?

I know it might sound completely inconsequential. But does anyone know why in older type houses, they used to put the light pendant off-set from the centre of the room and near to the window?

The logic to me would be to put the light fitting in the centre of the room. So there must have been a logic to putting it off-centre.

Anyone enlighten me?

How old is "older"?.... our house is the best part of 100 years old and all the light fittings are in the centre of the rooms...don't know when the 'leccy was installed though..

Ummmm...I dunno really, probably around wwii time or a little earlier maybe.

I've seen lots of places where it's been done.

If Crosser is right, it seems an awful lot of trouble to go to just to avoid casting a shadow. If you're that shy, then dress/undress on the other side of the room I would say.

It just irritates me, because I kinda like symmetry! :|

I don't know, but I wonder if it was something to do with trying to recreate the effects of sunlight, which comes in through the window - therefore putting the artificial light near the window to illuminate the rest of the room from that direction.

There's a vague sort of logic there...albeit a bit tenuous.

If the other theory (so as not to cast a shadow) is correct, then surely having the light by the window, if you're undressing completely illuminates you (looking from outside), unless you have complete blackout curtains and they 'are' firmly drawn?....If you just had nets (which I hate) all would be visible!!!! :huh:

There's a vague sort of logic there...albeit a bit tenuous.

If the other theory (so as not to cast a shadow) is correct, then surely having the light by the window, if you're undressing completely illuminates you (looking from outside)

You'd expect it to, but no; if there's a light in between you and the window, anyone looking in from outside cannot see much of anything behind the light. If there are nets or other curtains in the window, they can see absolutely nothing behind the light.

I agree with HeadingNorth - and this is also why such and arrangement usually only happens in bedrooms, not in reception rooms

There's usually a second light above where somebody has predetermined that the bed is going to go too - making rearranging the furniture nigh on impossible

You'd expect it to, but no; if there's a light in between you and the window, anyone looking in from outside cannot see much of anything behind the light. If there are nets or other curtains in the window, they can see absolutely nothing behind the light.

:hihi: Hmmmm.....I shall have to test the theory, and get my missus to oblige! (wait for the slap later :hihi:)

Spot on. The same theory should be applied when installing outside security lights, lights should be directed towards the boundary, you can see out but they can't see in.

Archived