Why are light fittings in older homes not in the centre of the room?

Spot on. The same theory should be applied when installing outside security lights, lights should be directed towards the exterior, you can see out but they can't see in.

Are you saying it still happens...even in new builds? Or were you mainly refering to the outside lights?

You'd expect it to, but no; if there's a light in between you and the window, anyone looking in from outside cannot see much of anything behind the light. If there are nets or other curtains in the window, they can see absolutely nothing behind the light.

Why aren't lights situated near the windows on houses built today...?

Why aren't lights situated near the windows on houses built today...?

I can't tell you that either. I don't know why they were situated off-centre in the past; I've offered an alternative theory to the "people can't see in" suggestion, but for all I know, either or neither of them could be right.

I'm with the OP myself; if I were putting a light in a room I'd put it in the centre because it looks right to me. It wouldn't occur to me to try and think of reasons to put it anywhere else.

I can't tell you that either. I don't know why they were situated off-centre in the past; I've offered an alternative theory to the "people can't see in" suggestion, but for all I know, either or neither of them could be right.

I'm with the OP myself; if I were putting a light in a room I'd put it in the centre because it looks right to me. It wouldn't occur to me to try and think of reasons to put it anywhere else.

So really it's a bit of a mystery, apart from the theories put forward so far.....What we need is a retired electrician, and maybe they can say definitively what the reason was!

if they were replacing gas fittings or oil lamp fittings, presumably there was a better draught to feed the flame near a rattly sliding sash window, plus you wouldn't really want a naked flame dangling over the bottom of the bed, especially when you're trying to light it

Didn't the original lightbulbs explode occasionally too? I don't fancy that going on over the foot of my bed either

I'm not doubting what you say, as you seem quite certain. But....(you just knew that was coming eh? :hihi:).....Can I ask how you are so certain?

Yes, definitely a modesty design. I know for certain because I'm old, and that's what my parents, grandparents told me. It makes sense, because many of them would just have had nets up on the windows.

Modern houses tend to be built with the lights in the centre, and whenever I've decorated a bedroom in an older house I have moved the lights to the centre. Many older houses will have the lights moved.

It's much more practical to have the lights in the centre, and the quality of curtains these days is much better than the early 1900's.

Besides, we're probably less paranoid about nudity in our homes these days too, just as we are elsewhere. I'll skip across the landing to the shower naked and if somebody catches sight of my naked flesh I would be more concerned for their mental health than my modesty tbh. :hihi:

Archived