Why are light fittings in older homes not in the centre of the room?

Yes, definitely a modesty design. I know for certain because I'm old, and that's what my parents, grandparents told me. It makes sense, because many of them would just have had nets up on the windows.

Modern houses tend to be built with the lights in the centre, and whenever I've decorated a bedroom in an older house I have moved the lights to the centre. Many older houses will have the lights moved.

It's much more practical to have the lights in the centre, and the quality of curtains these days is much better than the early 1900's.

Besides, we're probably less paranoid about nudity in our homes these days too, just as we are elsewhere. I'll skip across the landing to the shower naked and if somebody catches sight of my naked flesh I would be more concerned for their mental health than my modesty tbh. :hihi:

Hmmmm sounds perfectly logical to me.

yeah I feel the same about my modesty...if someone catches a glimpse of me, it's their misfortune and a lifetime of councelling! :hihi:

In our 1930's semi, you also had a pull light switch over the bed to switch the light off when in bed, Dont think bedside lamps had been thought of then.

Didnt we use to have pull chains to flush to toilet too :)

The house I live in at the moment was built in the 1960s and the downstairs lights are centred, the bedroom and bathroom lights are all nearer to the middle of the windows than the centre of the room. So it's obviously a fairly recent thing that bedroom lights are room centred these days?

I've always accepted the story that the lights were placed by upstairs windows to prevent people being able to see into the rooms when the lights were on. It may or may not be true, could be something to do with the placement of gas lighting and the tradition was just carried on? Although weren't the gas brackets usually on the walls?

Old tricians claim it creates a 'periscope effect' bouncing the light around closer to the window making it harder to see in clearly. Not sure how effective it is when people have loads of mirrors and white walls everywhere.

Also in place with really low ceilings it leaves more available floor space for moving around without burning the top of your head. :)

Crosser hit the nail on the head with the first reply.It seems to have died out to a certain extent like some other traditions. One that springs to mind is the way that (particularly) bedroom doors open.They are meant to open into the room and hinged on the side so as to prevent a view into the room as you open the door to give the occupant of the room a chance to pull their drawers up before they are seen!

Crosser's right my husband is a retired electrician and he says the same. Our house is a 1960's house and ours are near the window and also as shanes teeth says our bedroom doors open with the hinged side to the room to give me chance to pull my drawers up.:hihi:

I know it might sound completely inconsequential. But does anyone know why in older type houses, they used to put the light pendant off-set from the centre of the room and near to the window?

The logic to me would be to put the light fitting in the centre of the room. So there must have been a logic to putting it off-centre.

Anyone enlighten me?

It was placed near the window so when the bulb failed it could easily be replaced.

Archived