Car question. Can it really be that hard?

So in effect you still test every 12 months...what are you gaining?

I gain on the fact that if my car fails on something major - I have a chance of doing the work myself (although I'm too old and lazy now) or going to a garage of my choice to get that work done.

I gain on the fact that if my car fails on something major - I have a chance of doing the work myself (although I'm too old and lazy now) or going to a garage of my choice to get that work done.

If your car fails a month early it isn’t road worthy and restricted under the same regulations as one that failed on the final day ……….. what’s the difference.

^^

Sort of true and not true.

Your MOT certificate is still valid but you are correct in that you are driving an unroadworthy car. However, there are levels of unroadworthyness - for example a defective spare tyre is a failure yet a missing spare wheel will not be a failure.

A car could fail on a defective rear seat belt which is an MOT failure (incidentally - not tested if a child seat is in place) - but would you get prosecuted if you were stopped for this? You certainly would if you had no MOT but if you still had 29 days left - I would doubt it (but I don't know for sure).

What about a cracked windscreen in line of vision? MOT failure - yes. What if that happened whilst you were driving down the motorway - your car is unroadworthy and you know it - should you pull into the next service station and get it replaced?

Another reason that I get my car MOT'd early is in case there was an issue that meant that I couldn't take the car in on the day that I had booked - for example snow. If that were to happen then I'd have to rebook and that may mean a wait of a few days - all that time with no MOT as I had waited until the actual anniversary.

G

a defective spare tyre is a failure yet a missing spare wheel will not be a failure.

Are you sure?

Tyres and wheels

Condition, security, tyre size and type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected. Note: vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 - check of the MIL for tyre pressure monitoring.

Whats it to you?

What else are you cutting corners on..? What if they said your brakes were just about OK on the MOT but would need doing in a couple of weeks..would you do them or just wait until they failed on the next test?

Guest sibon
Whats it to you?

Well, we all have to share the roads with you. I'd prefer it if you maintained your car properly.

I went to KwikFit on City road in the end and spoke to a lad called Leo.

He got the car up on the ramps and got his MOT tester to look at it and they told me it would be an MOT pass with advisory so no need to rerplace it just yet.

He didnt guarantee it would be ok in a 6 weeks (when its due) as it could be damaged in the mean time but said its ok for now so im happy with that.

He showed me where its leaking a bit and its in a very accessible place so if push comes to shove and im pink lint i could buy the part and fix it myself.

Thumbsup up to KwikFit!!!!!!! :)

Whatever you do, don't take it to KwikFit for the MOT, they'll gouge you mercilessly.

Archived