Car question. Can it really be that hard?

He has a right to an opinion on any subject he likes and the law also gives him the right to expect that your car be kept road worthy whilst on the road.

The point was clearly made before, I'm sorry if you're struggling to understand.

Thanks Shogun. Ill copy and paste that for later use.

For now though im going for the cheaper option of fixing the hole and getting it through the MOT. Itll pass with an advisory as is and with a fix i may not even get an advisory.

Fingers crossed for that one.

They are a bit strict with patched up exhausts on the new test, I had a slight blow on the exhaust so I welded a plate on it last year and it went through the test I took it to the usual MOT place last week and he said we can not let it go through with a weld on it now, all though it was not leaking they are getting very stringent now with the new test.

He has a right to an opinion on any subject he likes and the law also gives him the right to expect that your car be kept road worthy whilst on the road.

The point was clearly made before, I'm sorry if you're struggling to understand.

You say struggling.

I say strargling

You say potato

I say back on topic.

Just for you im going to make it a really shoddy repair.

Excess putty, not filled in right, falling out i places.

I bet your almost crying now arent ya :hihi:

IF its only blowing why not just stick some repair paste in it,it's obvious only a minor issue, and tbh who cares it's an exhaust it isn't reported to be loose or falling apart.

I think you may be missing the point?

The back box joins approximately under the rear passenger accommodation or back seats. Whilst the car is moving a leak from this area is not so much of an issue, but whilst stuck in traffic, dangerous fumes may get in through an open window (in warm weather) or even through the air intake.

Just ask yourself.....if the boiler flue in your house was leaking & you knew about it, would you still take the risk or repair it?

Carbon monoxide kills-fact!

They are a bit strict with patched up exhausts on the new test, I had a slight blow on the exhaust so I welded a plate on it last year and it went through the test I took it to the usual MOT place last week and he said we can not let it go through with a weld on it now, all though it was not leaking they are getting very stringent now with the new test.

Thankfully no welding will be needed for this repair, seriously the blow in tiny. Minute even. Im just doing the right thing and making sure. ;)

(waits for my stalker to reply along the lines of "Then replace it, thats the right thing to do" or some other pointless drivel)

The back box joins approximately under the rear passenger accommodation or back seats. Whilst the car is moving a leak from this area is not so much of an issue, but whilst stuck in traffic, dangerous fumes may get in through an open window (in warm weather) or even through the air intake.

Just ask yourself.....if the boiler flue in your house was leaking & you knew about it, would you still take the risk or repair it?

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

You need to get a job writing in the tabloids!!

But thats the problem of the owner not a cause of concern for other motorists.

A small blow won't affect anyone else on here and the chance of fumes in a car i so minute as to be ineffective. I bet a car sat in traffic with a window down has as much chance of CO poisoning.

Patching/repairing exhausts with gun gum has been standard practice for years.

A few quid in pocket as i wont have this back box to buy just yet :D

You weren't going to do the 'right thing' though were you.

You were going to get the car through the MOT early, not do anything to the exhaust and save the money.

Which is why sibon questioned what other car maintenance you were going to cut corners on. Which you then got all upset about and told him was none of his business. :roll:

Sometimes a repair can be a false economy as there are usually other parts of the exhaust about to fail.

A new back box is cheap enough from Euro Car Parts and can be fitted in half an hour, and the car will run cleaner and smoother and be more fuel efficient.

Archived