The Lescar - is it going down hill ?

Carborundum

The Lescar is, and always has been a dirty little griefhole, filled with soap dodgers and chavs.

Why on earth woul anyone wish to drink in there when you have the nearby Banner Cross, Porter Cottage, hell, even the psalter tavern is a better establishment.

What u trippin 'bout you deluded mofo? Leslie Car is quite obviously the greatest pub in the universe. Seriously, if you're after a boozer with absolutely no activity going on at all, you could always go to The Union, although the stasis-like plodding atmosphere will make you think that the barkeep has laced your ale with ritalin.

The Lescar succeeds because it caters to such a diverse bunch of regulars, whether they be young families, students, locals, bohos (and the bohemian comment...I mean, it is on Sharrow Vale Road, AKA the Bohemian Village of Hallamshire, so that shouldn't be a surprise) and other weirdos who just feel welcome there. Helen and Duncan are very friendly and open to new ideas, and have variously let people put on bands, regular comedy and jazz performances, novel quizzes, art shows and DJ nights, and even new media experiments. Where else can claim to have such a wide variety of stuff going on?

Also, you've got to expect people to be a bit boisterous on New Year's day. I'm sure that if you had confronted the 'students' about their rudeness they would have apologised. Most of the youngsters today will have been on the blue gravel and pigeon dust at some kind of futuristic warehouse rave the night before, and you can't blame the kids for growing up in a Britain where the PM came into office to the fanfare of D:Ream's disco biscuit stormer "Things Can Only Get Better". Don't blame them: it's society's fault.

I put it to to you that The Lescar is going uphill (due to some kind of weird techtonic reverse subsidence on Cowlishaw).

Originally posted by kathythebean

To be fair I did ask at the bar on Friday what times they were open til on new years day and the barmaid showed me - on the wall they had a poster saying only until half ten, apparently to give the staff and customers a break after the new years eve binge. So they had clearly stated a few days before that they would be closing early on Sunday.

I must admit non of us had noticed that the closing was time was posted up as 10:30 Kathythebean.

That still doesn't excuse been refused entry at 10:10 though. It would still give time to have a quick 'un :) And twenty mins drinking up time on top of that.

Originally posted by mjlacey21

They closed the bar at 9.30 in the end- Duncan said it was because there were so many people in a bit of a state he thought they were better off stopping serving.

:hihi:

We were going to go down at about 8 but realised there would be loads of people just monging out, probably with no sleep from the night before, so we stayed tucked up inside with a crate of beer and the new years day telly.

Originally posted by mjlacey21

They closed the bar at 9.30 in the end- Duncan said it was because there were so many people in a bit of a state he thought they were better off stopping serving.

Such a terrible shame: when the many spoil it for the few. :rolleyes:

Archived