The Lescar - is it going down hill ?

Carborundum

Originally posted by mjlacey21

They closed the bar at 9.30 in the end- Duncan said it was because there were so many people in a bit of a state he thought they were better off stopping serving.

This is partly what I meant earlier when I said that Duncan has no control. He just lets people carry on drinking till they are well past it rather than suggesting they go home and have a breather.

Then he has to close the pub because of it :loopy:

The words 'Bad management' come to mind......

By the way Defstef, the Jazz and Comedy club nights pre date Duncan and Helens management by several years, although I agree he is open to new Ideas for the use of the back room.

I would also like to say I haven't got a total downer on the place - certainly nothing against the 'Bohos' that's for sure, but I did start to 'vote with my feet' about three years ago, and in that time I've seen the tap room empty of most of the 'part of the woodwork' regulars. They mostly drink at the same pub as me these days ;)

Kathythebean - thanks for your kind comments about our son :)

Originally posted by kathythebean

Hurray! :clap: Andy is a star!

:blush:

Kathy is also a little miracle and a blo*dy good friend! :clap:

It was a pleasure to finally meet Marie (mjlacey). I always like meeting new chatterboxes. :)

When I got there at 9, Duncan said that a lot of wasted people were trying to get into the pub so he'd decided it was best to shut up early.

I'm just glad that silly season is over and the Christmas crowd will disappear. It's nice to know that the pub will be full of people I know again. :)

Incidentally, the faint smell of vomit has something to do with the carpet in front of the middle bar. Apparently it's loads of beer that's been trampled in to it. I've been informed that they'll be replacing it soon.

Naps, I take it you don't drink in the Lescar much, especially as you think it's full of chavs. :confused:

I personally love the Lescar because it's one of the few pubs around that area that has an atmosphere. Most other pubs around there seem very soulless.

I agree with some of the comments made regarding the Lescar, in that it may not be everyone's cup of tea, and to be fair I cannot say it is mine every night of the week.

However, it is the old adage horses for courses, in that if you dont like it, you dont have to go in.

As I mentioned it may not be my absolute favourite, but when I have been in, I have never had a problem and enjoyed the "bohemian" mixture of people in the place.

Summer in the beer garden is a treat generally, and it is well placed. Dogs, kids being in a pub does not bother me as long as they are safe and not attacking the drinking patrons!

Lots of choice in Ecclesall and beyond within walking distance for every taste, as for students being in the pub and being rude, if a pub is not boisterious and full of energy I dont know what makes a good un'

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Patrick2000

Front bar - too loud music, screaming kids running around (are they allowed in a pub at 7pm?) a fierce looking dog (are animals allowed in bars also at 7pm?), slow surly service waited 10 mins to be served even though not a lot at the bar - the bar man obviously looked part-time and was more interested in the hilarity another bar man (the owner?) was generating my wearing a 70s wig rather then serving the customers - when I did eventually get my pint served in a dirty glass - no matter what part of the glass rim I turned it was unsavoury - I retreated from the drunken noise, children and animals to the "lounge" next door only to be confronted by the vague smell of vomit, crowded with jostling rude student types who had no manners at all and pushed you out of the way if you tried to stand at the bar, I had time to survey the decor - tatty wallpaper, really dirty tatty largely worn carpet and tables ... and the really worrying notice of "no baseball caps to be worn in the pub" so must get a lot of chav types in - I could go on ...

[/b]

Thats what we know and love

I usually like Lescar type pubs locals,bit of character live acts ect.

But when i last went in it stunk of vomit (as has already been mentioned) and I am sorry but to me it looked just plain scruffy and dirty.

I used to know Paul who used to manage it (ex west street) and he was a VERY good manager.

Im sorry but in my view there is just no excuse for not keeping a place clean.

I also suspect it is probably not the easiest of places to manage.

I will not be going back in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with defstef. helen and duncan work really hard to provide a really varied programme of entertainment - giving lots of folk their first chance to promote a dj event, play live etc. though some of the front room locals could be described as "tasty", the pub works well due to the 3 rooms - meaning that folks generally live and let live. If the front room is dominated by the louder locals fair enough - there are still two rooms left with loadsa space.

i've always found the barstaff to be friendly and hard-working too..

(and it has one the best, sunniest beer garden in the summer - along with the rutland arms and interval bar gardens)

Archived