Diesel car owners - advice on mpg welcome

Bought a new diesel car about 6 months ago (1600cc) - it's a first for me - always had petrol - lovely to drive and was impressed with the performance and comfort etc. It does all I want it to except I'm a little disappointed with the actual fuel consumption. Research and chatting to folks with diesels, I was expecting what they and various web-sites (including the manufacturer's and Gov't sites) - mpg of between 48 and 56. I'm now getting about 44 since getting it which has over the months increased from an initial 42/43 mpg. The mileage is currently just over 8k. I've put it down to a load of steep hill work locally - often from cold, a lot of shortish journeys (3 or 4 miles) although the majority of the journeys are trunk roads / motorways at about 65 mph. I've also got a very 'light' right foot.

Anyone who's into diesels and have been for some time like to offer advice on whether I might ever enjoy what I was expecting - perhaps when the engine 'loosens up'? - say 15k+? Any comments would be welcomed - Thanks

I have a 1.6 diesel too..I've done almost 20k miles ssnce December,when it was new,and I am getting 52mpg as near as dammit..even when new it never dropped below 49mpg..very mixed driving although a lot of motorway miles..they do loosen up after timebut don't improve much after about 12k (in my experience anyway)..do you use a particular brand if fuel 'cos I've found that it does sometimes make a difference..moreso than with petrol..

I've put it down to a load of steep hill work locally - often from cold, a lot of shortish journeys (3 or 4 miles) although the majority of the journeys are trunk roads / motorways at about 65 mph. I've also got a very 'light' right foot.
43-46mpg average is consistent with my 2.0D estate, across a 15 miles mixed daily commute (A57 50-60mph, M1 70-80 mph, bit of 'urban' town around M'hall, and reverse - all with stop/start at rush hour).

Going up hills will expectedly drop your mpg to low 30s/late 20s, a cold engine consumes more until it gets to its optimal operating temperature, and short journeys are baaad (:D) for diesel.

You didn't specify whether it's a manual or automatic. Automatics usually consume slightly more than manuals.

Use cruise (if you have an automatic, or a manual-with-cruise) whenever you get the chance, it can make a big difference - even on relatively short trips.

I keep track of mpg over the course of months, if it deviates much from my norm (46-49mpg) then I need to look at it. If I was driving more in town than usual over that tank it's not a problem but otherwise I take it as a hint to check tyres/oil.

If that doesn't sort it then I am paying more attention for sounds of mechanical problem!

Use cruise (if you have an automatic, or a manual-with-cruise) whenever you get the chance, it can make a big difference - even on relatively short trips.

I disagree, if you approach a hill normally you can anticipate the increase in revs needed to sustain your speed whereas with cruise control on revs will increase only when the extra strain is put on the engine. I'd suggest a combination of cruise on and off depending on the terrain.

In answer to the OP, without knowing the make, model and variant of the car it's difficult to answer. For instance, I have a Skoda Fabia 1.9 diesel which returns around 50mpg on average. However, when in an Octavia this same engine will likely return less and in the variant VRs for both it will be lower again.

Archived