Diesel car owners - advice on mpg welcome

My VW Touran is currently on 39.3mpg (measured over the last 2 months) which is on a mostly urban cycle so about as inefficient as it's possible to be with an engine. Whenever I do a long run that raises the MPG figure, but I realistically only do between 100 and 150 miles a week most weeks.

I disagree, if you approach a hill normally you can anticipate the increase in revs needed to sustain your speed whereas with cruise control on revs will increase only when the extra strain is put on the engine. I'd suggest a combination of cruise on and off depending on the terrain.
I don't disagree with that (...completely: don't forget to also factor in the gradient of the hill, direction of the wind, any surface and/or temperature change, depleting oxygen level in fuel-air mix, rate of fuel volume consumed and not carried uphill, etc, etc. :D:P), as that's not incompatible with what I posted earlier :)

yes very good mines the 1.8 cdti with c-control 6 gears

think its the best engine vauxhall have ever made

If yours is the 1.9 CDTi in the Signum, Pentagon Vauxhall once told me its a diesel engine developed jointly by General Motors and Fiat fitted in the Vectra C and Signum range. The later diesel engine in the Insignia is a different product, although I'm not entirely sure who that engine was developed by?

sorry 1.9 cdti yes but i tested the signum and insignia and found the signum a more practical car and a smoother ride and a lot bigger than either normal or estate insignia the signum is rated in the same class as bmw and vw i no for a fact there great on fuel and per month I'm doing around 2k-3k miles and never had a problem and you don't often see them for sale

sorry 1.9 cdti yes but i tested the signum and insignia and found the signum a more practical car and a smoother ride and a lot bigger than either normal or estate insignia the signum is rated in the same class as bmw and vw i no for a fact there great on fuel and per month I'm doing around 2k-3k miles and never had a problem and you don't often see them for sale

I looked at the Signum as it need that sized car to pull a 4 berth caravan and is known for its excellent towing capabilities. After I had my 58 plate Vectra CDTi SRi stolen last year I needed to buy something newer, so my only Vauxhall option was the Insignia which is a 2.0 CDTi. I like the Insignia, but still have a special fondness for my old SRi ... so did the scroats who stole it from come to that! Incidentally it was found chopped up in a lock up at the side of a sandwich shop on Effingham Road.

My mkv golf TDi 2005 with 150,000 miles on the clock easy pushes 65-68mpg without even being light footed.

M1,a57,a614 84miles for work a day and can do that 3 days on 20ltrs of fuel, plus bits and bobs like schools and shopping runs. I use shells v-power and it pulls like a dream. I regularly change oils and filters well before the 10k service ( around 9500 miles ).

Archived