Diesel car owners - advice on mpg welcome

Landrover Freelander diesel 2.2 SD auto 190 hp, close to 40mpg on a run, closer to 25mpg local.

Nissan Qashqai diesel 1.4 105 hp 60 on a run, closer to 40+ local. One of the best motors we have had.

Angel.

Seriously 25 mpg local? I used to get that from both my Subaru Legacy & Subaru Impreza......what's the point of a diesel if you get 25 mpg?????

Seriously 25 mpg local? I used to get that from both my Subaru Legacy & Subaru Impreza......what's the point of a diesel if you get 25 mpg?????
It's a big car (Freelander) to shift, it'd be much worse if it wasn't diesel ;)

25 mpg local in a 'Preza? Must have ben a heavy right foot...with a WRX, as I used to eke 35+ (urban-mixed) with a 2.0 n/a :D

My Octavia 2.0 TDi regularly gives 55-60 mpg and a little more on a long run.

I try not to use supermarket diesel, especially Morrisons with its higher Bio diesel content.

There are Shell and BP garages in Sheffield which are at least as cheap as any of the supermarkets.

I only use my car for commute on the M62.

It is now 50 mph all the way.

I gave up using my Laguna Diesel, 45 mpg, and started using a Mitra 45 mpg.

The kudos is not as good, but the price per gallon is. :D

I recently changed from Petrol to Diesel too and I get around 50mpg from mine compared to less than half from my old petrol car. I drive 75% of the time on motorways and surprisingly when I once accidently slipped over the 70mph speed limit ;), I noticed my MPG went up.

So with the proposed speed limit change to 80MPH on our motorways, I certainly think this would help peoples fuel consumption.

It all depends on the car.

Although this is old it shows that some cars are more efficient when driven at 60mph than at 40 or 50.

A newish 1.8 to 2.0 litre diesel will probably be most efficient at about 2000 to 2200 revs - between about 70 and 80 in the highest gear, then will drop off after that.

My current car has a Fiat 1.3diesel. I get around 53 to 55 around town, driving fairly sedately. On motorways, I get anywhere between the high 40s and the low 60s, depending how I drive.

My previous two cars were bigger, and both had the VW 1.9 diesel. These also gave in the low 50s around town, but could always gethigh 50s to low 60s on motorways. Although its an old design of engine and in a heavier car, it gives better fuel consumption, more consistently.

The bigger engines seem better, presmably because they are less stretched

Got 1.4 Hyundai i20, and get between 53 & 55 mpg out of it, even bearing in mind it's mostly town work and being driven by learners.

Same here. I get 55 on local trips and 65 on long runs trying to keep to around 70mph. After 12000 miles the car is giving at least 5mpg more than when it was 'running in'.

I've ran supermarket tat in my engine , shell fuel saver and now the v-power. The supermarket tat from morrisons clogged my engine up and it blew smoke like crackers. It drank the stuff like it was going out of fashion. I poured loads of redex in the tank and then started to run shell. The fuel saver made a huge improvement over supermarket in smoke and performance both power and usage. The v-power stuff is very good and gives more kick higher gears for motorway overtaking at 70mpg +. The engine now is smokeless even under super hard revs 5k's.

I've ran supermarket tat in my engine , shell fuel saver and now the v-power. The supermarket tat from morrisons clogged my engine up and it blew smoke like crackers. It drank the stuff like it was going out of fashion. I poured loads of redex in the tank and then started to run shell. The fuel saver made a huge improvement over supermarket in smoke and performance both power and usage. The v-power stuff is very good and gives more kick higher gears for motorway overtaking at 70mpg +. The engine now is smokeless even under super hard revs 5k's.

Are you really sure it makes that much difference?

I have yet to be convinced.

Archived