Diesel car owners - advice on mpg welcome

I run a 1.9 TDi Octavia on Shell fuel save. I regularly get 55-60mpg and occasionally close to 65 mpg on daily commute across the peaks. That seems significantly better than Max gets from his lighter 1.9 Fabia. Maybe it's not just the fuel but I have sometimes had almost an extra 100 miles out of a tank of fuel save compared to Morrison's fuel, in optimum conditions.

I run a 1.9 TDi Octavia on Shell fuel save. I regularly get 55-60mpg and occasionally close to 65 mpg on daily commute across the peaks. That seems significantly better than Max gets from his lighter 1.9 Fabia. Maybe it's not just the fuel but I have sometimes had almost an extra 100 miles out of a tank of fuel save compared to Morrison's fuel, in optimum conditions.

+1 on this.

And plus you don't fog up the street with soot on acceleration.

The v-power stuff is from what I understand is refined using liquid gas so is a higher octane and a cleaner burn.

Plus !!! Get a fuel card and get free fuel back every 3 months or so. At the moment v-power is 2-4-1 , so I got a £7.50 diesel voucher.

I did say it was an average. Driving across France at 80-85 with 2 bikes on top I was getting around 35mpg which has seriously damaged the overall average. Driving twice a week to Chesterfield I get 60+ mpg, driving to Attercliffe from Stannington gets me 70mpg but the return journey I only get 45mpg.

Living at the top of a 2 1/2 mile hill means that most of my journeys end up like that.

I get fuel regularly from Tesco and Asda and I dont think its inferior in any way to fuel from any other pumps. I experimented once with Shell V+ or something (5p a litre extra) and it made no difference so I now just go for the cheapest which at the mo, is Asda.

I've never tried this fuel, would be interesting to see if it makes a difference to me. A hundred extra miles would make a big difference to my £££ !!

I use Sainsburys mainly for my fuel and have been told that it's BP and the same quality as non-supermarket providers, but who knows. Interestingly the Citroen dealer told me that they are seeing a lot of clogged fuel filters recently - I had to get mine replaced at Christmas and the general consensus of opinion was that I may have had some dirty fuel.

Suspect my mpg drops on motorways as optimum speed for my car seems to be around 55 (which is what I do on my daily runs) ... I don't drive below the speed limit on the motorway :suspect:

My mercedes E class is an automatic 2.7 diesel, local I get 30mpg and on a run I get 47mpg.

I use Shell fuel save diesel and every 6mths I put a bottle of Forte advanced diesel sytem treatment in my tank.

i have always had petrol cars mainly lexus, a few years ago i decided to buy my first diesel the IS 220D what a mistake it averaged 30mpg which was the same as my previous IS250 petrol, it also used oil like it was leaking it, the car was always back with the dealer for injector changes and i had to call in every 1000 miles so they could monitor at what point it was using the most oil, i got rid of the car after 18 months and would never have a diesel again,

i have always had petrol cars mainly lexus, a few years ago i decided to buy my first diesel the IS 220D what a mistake it averaged 30mpg which was the same as my previous IS250 petrol, it also used oil like it was leaking it, the car was always back with the dealer for injector changes and i had to call in every 1000 miles so they could monitor at what point it was using the most oil, i got rid of the car after 18 months and would never have a diesel again,

Don't tar every diesel with the same brush, the is 220d was just crap period. The japs make fantastic petrol cars but they suck at diesel and you bought the worst of the worst.

Archived