Assange given asylum in Ecuador.

Latest report is saying they are still considering it.

I doubt they'll do anything that puts him in a worse position but it seems they are willing to help.

Assange did seem to get on well with the president when he interviewed him.

he's so innocent, he's running away to live anon where nobody can bring him to trial to plead his innocence. makes perfect sense.......if you're guilty.

He's not even been charged with anything yet.

I doubt it's that he's really trying to avoid anyway, I'm sure the threat of the death sentence in the US is his true motivation.

He's not even been charged with anything yet.

I doubt it's that he's really trying to avoid anyway, I'm sure the threat of the death sentence in the US is his true motivation.

if the US wanted him dead, i am sure it can be arranged, possibly easier for them to carry out in Ecuador than say, London.

his true motivation right now is to avoid standing trial for rape (that he is innocent of)

IIRC isn't the main charge that he had (consensual) sex with one of the women without a condom when she said he had to wear one (she only noticing afterwards)?

"Sex by suprise" was the original charge (whatever that is), which was dropped completely at first. It's a complex issue, but I vastly dislike the inference that Assange must be guilty before he has been tried. With Assange the personal and the political are far too entwined.

James Ball of The Guardian writes very well on the subject:

With its stand-off at the tiny Ecuadorian embassy in London, the Assange melodrama has entered its third act. But despite the drama, we don't yet know for sure what kind of story it is.

The first possibility is political thriller: Assange is right, his critics wrong. [...]

The second option is greek tragedy: a world in which Assange has spent so long conflating allegations centred around his private life on a few days in Sweden with WikiLeaks' wider battles he's come to believe his own spin. [...]

The third is soap opera: time and again during his Swedish sex case, Assange has escalated the situation [...]

To those supporters still fanatically loyal to Assange, which of the three is happening matters a great deal.

To others, it's already a tragedy. [...]

Read it all. I can't keep the context in cutting it down.

Assange is accused of serious crimes and so should be extradited to face trial for what he is accused of.

I can't give any credence to claims he would then be extradited from Sweden to the USA. That is an unproven assumption.

Lets not forget, we (the UK) are already one of the easiest places in the world for the USA to get people extradited from. Getting extradited from Sweden to the USA is likely to be harder than getting extradited UK to USA.

"Sex by suprise" was the original charge (whatever that is), which was dropped completely at first. It's a complex issue, but I vastly dislike the inference that Assange must be guilty before he has been tried.

He doesn't want to be tried - he wants to escape trial.

Sorry you dislike that but what else could one possibly infer from that?

Trumpt up charges leveled against a man because they couldnt get him on what they wanted to.

Well done Ecuador.

True a charge that was dropped then suddenly re-opened (in a different area of the country in a different court) as soon as the Wikileaks stuff came out.

He doesn't want to be tried - he wants to escape trial.

Sorry you dislike that but what else could one possibly infer from that?

I'm not going to defend him, he may well be guilty, but we normally wait to find people guilty first before we start to label them.

Secondly, Assange's situation is highly unique. He may very well have reason to believe that he is being persecuted for his politics, and thus he doesn't want to stand trial.

Then we have the odd behaviour of Sweden who charged him on something incredibly obscure such as "sex by suprise", dropped it, let him leave, and then said weeks later that he was wanted for rape. It's odd behaviour from everyone.

Latest report is saying they are still considering it.

I doubt they'll do anything that puts him in a worse position but it seems they are willing to help.

Assange did seem to get on well with the president when he interviewed him.

What do you mean by... "they are willing to help"? As far as I am aware, once an application for asylum is made, under international law, they have to give it consideration. It's not a case of whether they are willing to help.

Archived