Assange given asylum in Ecuador.

I'm not going to defend him, he may well be guilty, but we normally wait to find people guilty first before we start to label them.

Sure, but if he doesn't want to be tried for an alleged crime, he must be guilty. I'm sure if you didn't rape someone, you'd want to clear your name?

Sure, but if he doesn't want to be tried for an alleged crime, he must be guilty.

Definetly not. You can't conclude guilt from the premise of not wanting to stand trial. Few people willingly choose to be tried, which is why we arrest and charge people and set bail conditions.

I'm sure if you didn't rape someone, you'd want to clear your name?

Personally, that vastly depends upon context. Secondly, my name would be clear until I had been found guilty in a court of law. I wouldn't have to clear it.

Sure, but if he doesn't want to be tried for an alleged crime, he must be guilty.

Even if that belief holds (and several have already argued that it doesn't...) it might not apply to this case. Assange is convinced that, should he be extradited from here to Sweden, he will then be extradited to the USA and face the death penalty for treason.

Even if that belief holds (and several have already argued that it doesn't...) it might not apply to this case. Assange is convinced that, should he be extradited from here to Sweden, he will then be extradited to the USA and face the death penalty for treason.

Isn't it easierto be extradited from the UK?

But there's no real reason why so- except interference from Eurpoean institutions/courts.

No real reason why what?

The reason we won't extradite anyone to face the death penalty is quite simple. We don't believe in the death sentence as a form of justice.

Not sure he's been granted asylum, because that will take months. It seems he applied for asylum though

Quite right.

He has been granted sanctuary, insofar as they actually let him in to the Embassy and we can't arrest him until he comes back out again. How long they'll be willing to keep him there, nobody yet knows.

Archived