Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

Guest sibon
Discriminatory against whom? Are there some groups of people who have no choice but to drink alcohol? I've never heard of any such.

You've never heard of alcoholics?

I'm surprised.

Guest sibon
Isn't alcoholism treated as an illness, though? It shouldn't be necessary for them to by their own alcohol in order to treat themselves. (Maybe it is .. but it shouldn't be.)

It isn't. There are many alcoholics, undiagnosed, who buy their own. They truly have no choice.

To get back on topic, Jimmy Carr has the choice to pay his fair share to society, he's chosen not to. I just hope that anyone who enjoys his output takes a similar moral stance and downloads his stuff for free.

Jimmy Carr has done NOTHING illegal............hes just found a way of paying very little tax without breaking the law........... Good on him .

I bet All those on this thread slagging him off would jump at the chance of using the same scheme as he does . The old Green eyed monster is out in force on this thread.

Guest sibon
Jimmy Carr has done NOTHING illegal.............

Yet.

But the clock is ticking and all the tax dodgers had best start sweating.

I think his public persona is just, as it should be, an act. Whatever he does in his personal life, is a Jimmy Carr the Person issue. I have no doubt judging by his style, he will mock himself when he is on tv. is it not human nature to try and save money?
I have nothing but scorn for people like Carr, avoiding paying into the pot that helps the rest of us, whilst lambasting other people who do the same sort of thing in his act. He's a penny pinching hypocrite in my book. :)

It depends how you want to position yourself. If you are minded to pay the minimum legally required then that is your choice. If you are up front about it then it will annoy some people for a variety of reasons but really it is your privilege to take any moral angle completely out of it.

On the other hand if you are somebody who makes a big deal out of caring for public services but then avoids as much tax as possible then you have to take a look at yourself. There will almost certainly be a moral angle to that you have to deal with and if people call you for it then you've been found out. Kind of like Jimmy Carr has been in a way.

Lefties , righties , red , blue , yellow , Wednesday , United , fat , thin , muslim , christian , public sector , private sector , divisions within public sector eg. police , paramedics , evil nurses , porters , dumpit site workers , teachers , lollypop ladies , private sector office workers , Tesco employees , firemen , immigrants ( which this government allowed to come in ) , east europeans , working or non-working , university lecturers , doctors , real ale drinkers , morris dancers , scout and brownie leaders ........................

Why not just recognise the fact that the media are being divisive to weaken all of us , buy a red biro ( Wilko's 18p) and start reading the newspapers critically ?

Am surprised that the Jimmy Carr story originated in the Times but not sorry that it's forced mainstream media to react , the expression on Cameron's face has been just priceless . Danny Alexander's comments that those avoiding tax are "no better than benefit scroungers" is worth getting engraved on something ( maybe on Andrew Lansley's extensive forehead ?)

Personally, I'd like to see all countries pay the same top rate of tax so there would be no advantage to hopping countries to find the best rate, and no tax havens.

I would also be happy to see the rich pay 30% tax on everything they get like the rest of us, as long as they did actually pay it, no tax evasion or tax avoidance.

Archived