Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

can we all join these schemes ?

How much have you got? I don't mind hiding it overseas for you with post card updates from monte Carlo :)

Jimmy carr is hilarious. Shame he's been shown to be an enormous hypocrite.

Is kind of funny to hear Cameron spout on this issue. Especially when he said "people come to see him and pay with taxed income and he's taking that and not paying any tax on it. Booohooo. Why can't I get away with that too?" or words to that effect.

Not really the same as taking money from people through taxation and spending it on weekends chillaxing with O'bumma is it?

If jimmy wasn't funny he wouldn't get paid. The condem coalition is really not funny and they're paid large sums regardless.

Also a shame his position on 10 o'clock live has become untenable just like Angus on HIGNFY.

Enjoyed that show. :(

Lets be honest if we were in the position to avoid paying tax we would,all this hypocrisy makes we laugh.

Correct. Ive made this same point on the Jimmy Carr thread. people slagging him off for using a tax avoidance scheme make me laugh. Every single one of them would use the exact same scheme to avoid paying tax if they could. I know full well id use this K2 scheme today if i could.

There is a (justifiable) disconnect between politicians and the people which is reflected in our increasing disillusionment about 'where the money goes'.

It used to be the argument that, even if our taxes went on fluffy-bunny projects like schools and hospital, that would be OK. Now we know that, even if that was the case, it will probably be at a vastly-inflated, PFI price.

Chuck in rubbish like useless windmills, Overseas Aid, illegal and pointless wars etc. etc. and it's understandable that people are fed up, not so much with paying tax, but where the money goes.

This latest diversionary tactic about Jimmy Carr is pure hypocrisy. Sure, he was an idiot pointing out how little he pays, but it's a pity such bile isn't poured over the real tax evaders/avoiders (no real difference, just sematics) such as the mega rich, Virgin etc.

Why should we be moral over taxes - the only issue for some people is envy.

When we have people on here immoral enough to support real criminals against real physical victims, tax issues are insignificant.

Yet.

But the clock is ticking and all the tax dodgers had best start sweating.

It can take a long time though. It took nearly 10 years for Goldman Sachs to admit their EBT scheme was caught by legislation. And even then they were let off £10million interest.

Yet.

But the clock is ticking and all the tax dodgers had best start sweating.

They should, but I can't see them sweating too much. A large percentage of people who are likely to dodge taxes probably vote Conservative and Disasterous Dave doesn't want to risk losing their vote. Would any votes lost by clamping down on tax evasion be offset by the number of votes won by introducing such measures? I think not.

Archived