Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

The biggest mystery to me is why Jimmy Carr is famous,and why so many people find him funny.

? Me also, his shelf life has run out. Some of the gags writen for him may be funny but he is not.

Can we not all use this scheme to avoid sorry pay less tax. Just Watching the Tv and a charity ad was asking for just £2 in order to give a child clean water. Now these people save millions by using tax schemes only to squander on a lavish lifestyle, we are all part of a moraly corrupt world are we not?

Possibly but tv advert charities are no better than tax dodging big businesses in many respects.

Is it really that big a deal? 1% of what carr makes is still more than many people pay :)

Plus if the money he's receiving is taxed at source as income and the tickets that are bought have VAT on. It's hardly untaxed money is it?

And if he's living in the uk and buying flash cars and million pound houses that's way more tax than normal folks will pay in a lifetime.

Of course that's how i'd justify it to myself in his situation. :)

Possibly but tv advert charities are no better than tax dodging big businesses in many respects.

Is it really that big a deal? 1% of what carr makes is still more than many people pay :)

Plus if the money he's receiving is taxed at source as income and the tickets that are bought have VAT on. It's hardly untaxed money is it?

And if he's living in the uk and buying flash cars and million pound houses that's way more tax than normal folks will pay in a lifetime.

Of course that's how i'd justify it to myself in his situation. :)

I suspect it is a considerable amount of tax he is dodging. When you are rich then the need to justify paying less tax seems obsurd to me, there is a lack of morality in such a practice. Greece is in a fix in part because its rich haven't payed their way.

I'm not condoning Jimmy Carr's tax arrangements, but it's quite nausious to hear the PM condemning him when there are are hundreds, probably thousands of individual high earners and businesses all scheming to do the same (many probably his mates).

I don't want to hear the PM condemning it, I want to hear that they've closed the loop holes that make it possible.

I suspect it is a considerable amount of tax he is dodging. When you are rich then the need to justify paying less tax seems obsurd to me, there is a lack of morality in such a practice. Greece is in a fix in part because its rich haven't payed their way.

Not just the rich in Greece..it appears to be a national pastime..

Chuck in rubbish like useless windmills, Overseas Aid, illegal and pointless wars etc. etc. and it's understandable that people are fed up, not so much with paying tax, but where the money goes.

This is what I mean. If morality is an issue (as the PM suggests it is) when it comes to paying tax; then we also need to consider the moral implications of funding illegal, pointless, immoral wars etc.

So is he going to pay back all the tax he's avoided?

I very much doubt that as I doubt he would have had a change of heart if Cameron hadn't named him.

So Cameron opens his mouth and the country reforms a tax avoider and we are a million or so better off. Its a pity Gordon Brown didn't say similar things rather than "Gold reserves for sale".

It seems it takes a Prime Minister to do what the inept oafs from the tax office have failed to do for years. So I suggest Cameron appoint a name & shame minister to read out names on the TV. We could be a million quid a minute better off and far better off than paying folks to sit around in the tax office scratching their bums.

Thought Greece's problem was due to joining an inflated currency and attempting to move from third world Mediterranean to western European in a short space of time with no real GDP income base and attempting to plug the gaps with a huge cancerous public sector. Anyways it's not just their rich that aren't paying tax. It's all of them. If the newspapers are to be believed that is.

I admit I don't like paying tax and wish I could get it down to 1%. It's a bitter pill to swallow, watching how it's squandered on wars, benefits, politicians etc.

Archived