Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

I think the level of envy, spite and hatefulness against people who have made a few quid is pathetic.

It's got nothing to do with envy, spite of hate. The majority of us who earn peanuts compared to Carr are quite happy to pay taxes and do our bit so we can live in a more ordered society and it annoys us when better off folk don't feel the same.

PS: Like the new username by the way.:D

It's got nothing to do with envy, spite of hate. The majority of us who earn peanuts compared to Carr are quite happy to pay taxes and do our bit so we can live in a more ordered society and it annoys us when better off folk don't feel the same.

PS: Like the new username by the way.:D

oh please!!!:loopy: any one of you critics of Jimmy carr who was in the same position would do exactly the same! in fact anyone earning 100k or more could do it , anyone that runs a ltd co or any comapny come to that pays the least amount of tax that is legal, so i ask all you critics of the system why dont you all pay an extra 10% on your yearly tax bill to ease your conscience??..............No? thought not

oh please!!!:loopy: any one of you critics of Jimmy carr who was in the same position would do exactly the same! in fact anyone earning 100k or more could do it , anyone that runs a ltd co or any comapny come to that pays the least amount of tax that is legal, so i ask all you critics of the system why dont you all pay an extra 10% on your yearly tax bill to ease your conscience??..............No? thought not

Why should we, it's not our tax bill to pay!

Why should we, it's not our tax bill to pay!

so there it is you dont like to pay more than you need too either!!! and its not his tax bill to pay either as he has done exactly what is legal.

anyone from the lower paid self employed to the company director has ways of reducing or even having no tax bill, unfortunatly with paye there is very little you can do but thats life you take the risks you get the rewards.:o

I think if we are talking morals we all need to take a look at ourselves.....what about all of us that use e-bay or amazon or play.com? All used to buy the same products at a cheaper price....as a result our local high street has collapsed, we've avoided vat by buying from Jersey (in some instances), & as a result put local jobs at risk!!!!

We're all guilty if you look hard enough!!!

I'm not blaming him for avoiding tax, or for being able to buy his £8.5m house in cash, good luck to him. I'm scornful of him for being the sort of mealymouthed hypocrite that makes part of his living lambasting and poking fun at his own ilk, people who deprive others whilst feathering their own nests.

Do it by all means, if you want to, but don't pretend to be holier-than-thou at the same time. It's despicable.

who is jimmy Carr depriving by not declaring his income?

How many other self employed people do all they can to get out of paying tax? Every tradesman in the country is at it. All the advisors/consultants too.

Charities, businesses, david cameron himself, everyone who has their chartered account fill in the forms for them. It's inland revenues job to make sure people pay it and should be the governments job to stop tax havens.

It's easy for people on PAYE to sit back and criticise someone who when given a legal choice, decided to pay 3000£ instead of 300000£.

Jimmy Carr is just a very funny drop in the ocean. I wonder how he managed to annoy the government enough to single him out.

who is jimmy Carr depriving by not declaring his income?
all of us, by reducing the money in the treasury coffers. As people on here are fond of saying, 'we could have had x teachers or doctors with the money he's deprived the country of' But I've said all this before, trying reading my posts?

snippy the middle bit

Jimmy Carr is just a very funny drop in the ocean. I wonder how he managed to annoy the government enough to single him out.
are you sure you have the right comedian, even Alan Carr is funnier :D And I said that before too - on numerous occasions :)

If one man earn £1 million, and 99 earn 1 pence.

Tax the 99 at 100% and the one high earner at 0.01%

You have tax paid of £1 by the bottom 99%.

And tax paid of £100 by the top 1%.

In this case the 1% pays over 99% of all income taxes.

However, the poorest pay 10000 times as much tax as a percentage of their income.

The figures you use create an illusion.

Apart from the fact that even your own dreamed up figures don't add up, I didn't know that people earning 1p paid any tax at all. Perhaps in your imaginary world your figures have any meaning. On planet earth they are a load of meaningless twaddle.

it seems to me that there is a lot of sour grapes about jimmy carr. if any of us mere mortals were to recieve a pay increase of, say £150,000 a year, and all of a sudden we go from paying the normal amount of tax to 50% of what you earn, I think a lot of people would want to avoid paying it. at the end of the day, your family is more important than the tax revenue. we will shortly be having our bins emptied fortnightly, yet I have yet to recieve my refund for my council tax, as ive always paid for it to be collected weekly. that will incur me more costs running to the tip. do you honestly think the revenue gives a hoot about the general public? no way, and if jimmy carr tried to save a few bob by going offshore, then good on him. it strikes me as amusing just how envious some people can be if they arent shrude enough to take care of themselves, yet when someone else does that very thing, they are disgraced.

it seems to me that there is a lot of sour grapes about jimmy carr. if any of us mere mortals were to recieve a pay increase of, say £150,000 a year, and all of a sudden we go from paying the normal amount of tax to 50% of what you earn, I think a lot of people would want to avoid paying it. at the end of the day, your family is more important than the tax revenue. we will shortly be having our bins emptied fortnightly, yet I have yet to recieve my refund for my council tax, as ive always paid for it to be collected weekly. that will incur me more costs running to the tip. do you honestly think the revenue gives a hoot about the general public? no way, and if jimmy carr tried to save a few bob by going offshore, then good on him. it strikes me as amusing just how envious some people can be if they arent shrude enough to take care of themselves, yet when someone else does that very thing, they are disgraced.

at last someone with a bit of common sense:thumbsup: but unfortunatly the jealous lefties on here wont understand:o

Archived