Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

Originally Posted by Lab-rat

I think if we are talking morals we all need to take a look at ourselves.....what about all of us that use e-bay or amazon or play.com? All used to buy the same products at a cheaper price....as a result our local high street has collapsed, we've avoided vat by buying from Jersey (in some instances), & as a result put local jobs at risk!!!!

We're all guilty if you look hard enough!!!

Whatever happened to our 'betters' setting a good example?

We live in a society now in which it's well known that those at the top are fiddling left right and centre. Is it any wonder that this trickles down society until everyone thinks it's OK to get away with as much as they can.

Originally Posted by Lab-rat

I think if we are talking morals we all need to take a look at ourselves.....what about all of us that use e-bay or amazon or play.com? All used to buy the same products at a cheaper price....as a result our local high street has collapsed, we've avoided vat by buying from Jersey (in some instances), & as a result put local jobs at risk!!!!

We're all guilty if you look hard enough!!!

There is a world of difference between saving for a pension or buying duty free, and Carr signing his income away to a trust in Jersey, the trust 'lend' him money equivalent to his income at 0% interest rate and with no intention of ever reclaiming the 'loan'. (Quoted from Cyclone)

it seems to me that there is a lot of sour grapes about jimmy carr. if any of us mere mortals were to recieve a pay increase of, say £150,000 a year, and all of a sudden we go from paying the normal amount of tax to 50% of what you earn, I think a lot of people would want to avoid paying it. at the end of the day, your family is more important than the tax revenue. we will shortly be having our bins emptied fortnightly, yet I have yet to recieve my refund for my council tax, as ive always paid for it to be collected weekly. that will incur me more costs running to the tip. do you honestly think the revenue gives a hoot about the general public? no way, and if jimmy carr tried to save a few bob by going offshore, then good on him. it strikes me as amusing just how envious some people can be if they arent shrude enough to take care of themselves, yet when someone else does that very thing, they are disgraced.

Jimmy Carr is not funny, you on the other hand are.

Carr didn't make a terrible mistake..it was well planned and calculated, he just didn't account for the media. And he certainly didn't try to save "a few bob", the majority of the population try to do that..with difficulty

Families that work very long hours and contribute are being screwed by the state from every angle. To use the term jealous is just a ridiculous statement bandied about by the wannabies with delusions of grandeur, while sitting on their backsides probably contributing zilch. Carr has made millions from the general public..pay up like everyone else or go abroad and try his luck with Borneo.

Guest sibon
Most of us rely on this infrastructure but most of us aren’t asked to pay half our income for it, I use just as much, if not more than they do, yet I am expected to pay significantly less than them, and I resent paying what little I pay because I see how it is wasted. I can't blame someone for doing everything in their power to avoid paying it.

Half of my income goes back to the treasury. Every month.

I make no attempt to avoid paying my dues. Why is Jimmy Carr different?

Only just had a very quick flick though this thread.

Firstly I say fair play to Jimmy Carr, I'm sure alot of us in the same situation would do the same. I am right in thinking that Jimmy Carr has done nothing illegal. There is a difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. Guess its a case of don't hate the player, hate the game.

Although the hypocrisy of Jimmy Carr is outstanding, wasn't it not so long ago that he was doing a sketch on 10 O Clock live having a good pop at Barclays Bank for them using methods to reduce their tax liability, only for him to be doing the same.

Karate Dave - Well said.

I wish someone would speak for for the very lowest paid in our society who get hammered in the most unfair way of all.

The worst paid, do the worst jobs, get taxed disproportionally (compared to us all) and don't have enough money to pay the rent in many cases.

Who'd go to work under these circumstances?

Do you mean someone like the trade unions? Unison have a campaign for a living wage, the PCS has a campaign for tax justice

and lifelong learning

Now you know about these campaigns, and seeing how passionate you are about such causes then I look forward to seeing you support them.

Half of my income goes back to the treasury. Every month.

I make no attempt to avoid paying my dues. Why is Jimmy Carr different?

From some of your previous post I understand that some of your wage is placed straight into a pension fund and you put also put some in, this money isn’t taxed so you are legally lowering your tax.

Do you voluntarily pay more than the law requires you to pay?

From some of your previous post I understand that some of your wage is placed straight into a pension fund and you put also put some in, this money isn’t taxed so you are legally lowering your tax.

There's huge difference between saving for a pension and doing what Carr (and possibly thousands) of others do.

Not this silly argument again. There are a number of different tax breaks the government provides to encourage virtuous economic activity. Hiding millions off shore is not for the good of the country.

Archived