Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

It's my opinion that people will find ways to avoid it whilst ever the wasteful public sector and governments ask for too much and waste what they do get. When the government and public sector stop wasting it, tax’s can be lower and more people are likely to pay and won't look for ways to avoid it.

This is just wishful thinking.

I wouldn't blame him. We would all do the same. However, to make jokes about others when he was doing the same is a bit of a liberty...

I think Jimmy Carr was deliberately named and shamed because of his act. It's shut him up which brings me to my next point.

A lot of modern comedians (and it's been proved scientifically that they are amongst the most intelligent members of society,) do a grand job of highlighting the absurdities and injustices in our society in a very palatable way. They are hugely popular and get their message across. Just look at Mark Thomas.

When that message is embarassing the government, what do you do? Find a way to shut them up and frighten off the rest.

Cameron didn't chose to highlight Sir Philip Green's dodgy tax dealings, which I think are far worse, no he gave him a job and a knighthood.

Is it in the states where everyones tax return is a matter of public record?

Maybe that should be the case in the UK. Sure, it means I could find out how much my friends earn (I could just ask them anyway), but it also means that anyone with a disproportionately low tax return would come under public scrutiny.

I think Jimmy Carr was deliberately named and shamed because of his act. It's shut him up which brings me to my next point.

A lot of modern comedians (and it's been proved scientifically that they are amongst the most intelligent members of society,) do a grand job of highlighting the absurdities and injustices in our society in a very palatable way. They are hugely popular and get their message across. Just look at Mark Thomas.

When that message is embarassing the government, what do you do? Find a way to shut them up and frighten off the rest.

Cameron didn't chose to highlight Sir Philip Green's dodgy tax dealings, which I think are far worse, no he gave him a job and a knighthood.

If that is the case, then they have shot themselves.

As has been said they have opened a can of worms.

You cannot expose one mans sins, without exposing them all.

Good point but he was pretty stupid to have a go at something he himself does!:huh:

...but I turn him off so I don't know exactly what he said

I thought that. Cameron must have loved putting him under the spotlight for a change...

I bet they had a right laugh, behind closed doors, about it.

Archived