Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

If that is the case, then they have shot themselves.

As has been said they have opened a can of worms.

You cannot expose one mans sins, without exposing them all.

I agree absolutely, but then I don't think Cameron is the sharpest tool in the box. As I said before, the master of unforseen consequences.

Still, Mr Carr was man enough to admit to his 'error'; that takes at least a degree of courage.

I do hope he comes back better and stronger, (tho' I'm not a particular fan.)

I'm sure he'll find a way to use it, and declare war on Cameron.

Look at Ken Dodd. His act is all the funnier because of his brush with the taxman.

Look at Ken Dodd. His act is all the funnier because of his brush with the taxman.

Yes. Ken Dodd's best line on it was something like this:

"The Inland Revenue sent me a Self-Assessment form. Me! I invented it."

But he was not entering into wholly-artificial transactions with no purpose other than to gain.

The PM has called Carr's tax arrangements "not morally right".

Carr meanwhile had to defend himself against a heckler who shouted "You don't pay tax"

Other celebs accused of aggressive tax avoidance include members of Take That, including the "saint who walks amongst us" Gary Barlow.

I wonder if Carr will continue to pretend to be edgy and right on and sticking it to the bankers?

At the end of the day if this K2 thing is legal and above board then why the hell are we all not doing it?

So long as its legal and above board just because its been done and others are saving money then why not, we pay too much tax for sweet all in this country anyway

Ken Dodd, that man is a legend

At the end of the day if this K2 thing is legal and above board then why the hell are we all not doing it?

So long as its legal and above board just because its been done and others are saving money then why not, we pay too much tax for sweet all in this country anyway

the cost of setting it up generally outweighs the savings made if you are only on 40-50k pa, it will be cheaper to just pay tax. at jimmy carrs level of earnings it will save him hundreds of thousands of pounds per annum.

It's only legal because there is no law preventing it. That's what generally happens with avoidance schemes, developments in markets and changes in taxpayer behaviour constantly change the nature of tax risk and in turn what might be regarded as avoidance. When HMRC or the Government decide that such activities are posing a risk they will either challenge them under existing rules, or, if there are no existing rules, they will bring in new laws.

There is currently no specific law against drug driving. Does that make it legal and above board? In the case of drug driving the government have identified a loophole and have sought to end it by announcing a law change in the Queen's speech. According to you, just because there already isn't a specific law then it's OK to do it.

Archived