Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

For reasons similar to those of Mr Carr- it's not "let off" tax liability but instead it avoids the liability

No. Vodafone's head of tax, a Mr John Connors, made a deal with Dave Hartnett of HMRC to pay £6 billion less than they owed.

Co-incidently (I would imagine) until 2007, John Conners was a senior official at HMRC, where he worked with Mr Hartnett.

For reasons similar to those of Mr Carr- it's not "let off" tax liability but instead it avoids the liability

Vodafone tried to avoid its liabilities. That it didn't meet them in the end was not because of a valid avoidance scheme but because of the fiasco at HMRC.

Carr may not have avoided his tax after all. The closing down of an avoidance scheme can be accompanied by a back dated tax demand. HMRC is looking to litigate K2

Why ask me? I think that the decision to let Vodaphone off was wrong as well.

There's very little chance of asking someone with the answer here, so I'd guess it was actually a rhetorical question, seeing as, unbelievably, no one on this thread had mentioned vodafone previously.

As a rhetorical question, I thought it complemented the answer you gave pretty well.

Be honest - Carr is only doing what every one of us would do if we had the opportunity. We all want to pay as little tax as possible - anyone who says different is a liar.

I'm sure it's a point that's been raised already but life's too short to sift through 18 pages of posts.

Archived