Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

There's very little chance of asking someone with the answer here, so I'd guess it was actually a rhetorical question, seeing as, unbelievably, no one on this thread had mentioned vodafone previously.

As a rhetorical question, I thought it complemented the answer you gave pretty well.

I'm sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick.

No. Vodafone's head of tax, a Mr John Connors, made a deal with Dave Hartnett of HMRC to pay £6 billion less than they owed.

Co-incidently (I would imagine) until 2007, John Conners was a senior official at HMRC, where he worked with Mr Hartnett.

HMRC would refute that and claim it to be an urban myth. What, I think, happened is that discussions over a grey area took place. Vodafone put to one side a considerable sum of money just in case they lost in an all or nothing argument. Instead there was a settlement, where Mr Hartnett agreed to a certain figure that was smaller than the amount Vodafone put aside, but was considerably larger than what HMRC would have got if they'd gone to court and lost.

That Hartnett was even involved in the settlement meeting was wrong, it wasn't his job but he was brought in to grease the wheels.

The Goldman Sachs fiasco is even worse. Interest of £10million was foregone because the top brass negotiating the settlement (Hartnett again) didn't understand the rules.

There's very little chance of asking someone with the answer here, so I'd guess it was actually a rhetorical question, seeing as, unbelievably, no one on this thread had mentioned vodafone previously.

As a rhetorical question, I thought it complemented the answer you gave pretty well.

Err yes they have. Sibon for one. And I actually agreed with him so I'll have to go and have lie down now.

HMRC would refute that and claim it to be an urban myth. What, I think, happened is that discussions over a grey area took place. Vodafone put to one side a considerable sum of money just in case they lost in an all or nothing argument. Instead there was a settlement, where Mr Hartnett agreed to a certain figure that was smaller than the amount Vodafone put aside, but was considerably larger than what HMRC would have got if they'd gone to court and lost.

For those who don't know Dave Hartnett was one of Gordon Brown's apparachiks at the Treasury who was charged with the task of making sure big corporations didn't feel too taxed by Labour. Among his many underachievements he was also on the board of directors of a magazine called Tax Journal, a magazine devoted to advising big corporations on how to avoid tax. Nuff said?

Be honest - Carr is only doing what every one of us would do if we had the opportunity. We all want to pay as little tax as possible - anyone who says different is a liar.

I'm sure it's a point that's been raised already but life's too short to sift through 18 pages of posts.

Might seem odd to you but I'm happy to pay my tax. I think the amount I pay is about right. I would obviously prefer it if the money was better spent and the dead wood and inefficiences in public services reduced. But it is my strong belief that we all have a duty to pay our taxes and contribute to the services we receive and to the enhancement of society.

I think the tax system could be fairer, simpler and more efficient at bringing in revenue. I think that people also need to see that their tax is spent well - clearly it very often isn't and there are massive areas for improvement. If tax was seen to be better used then less people would have a beef with paying it. MrSmith said pretty much the same thing a few pages back and I agree.

The challenge is how to get taxes to a level that people are happy with the amounts and also broadly happy with the way it is spent.

Jimmy Carr is not funny, you on the other hand are.

Carr didn't make a terrible mistake..it was well planned and calculated, he just didn't account for the media. And he certainly didn't try to save "a few bob", the majority of the population try to do that..with difficulty

Families that work very long hours and contribute are being screwed by the state from every angle. To use the term jealous is just a ridiculous statement bandied about by the wannabies with delusions of grandeur, while sitting on their backsides probably contributing zilch. Carr has made millions from the general public..pay up like everyone else or go abroad and try his luck with Borneo.

Of course I contribute to the revenue and im not in a position to choose how much tax I pay, as im a PAYE slave. and yes, carr did plan his move with the help of a good accountant. but he didnt invent this loophole himself, as it already existed. he just hopped onboard with all the others. it seems that if carrs tax tactics have got your hackles up so much, then maybe you could quite possibly be a "wannabe" yourself who only can dream of "grandeur" whilst sat watching jeremy kyle.

Guest sibon
Err yes they have. Sibon for one. And I actually agreed with him so I'll have to go and have lie down now.

You'll soon get used to being right. Just stick with me Jim:)

funny they dont close these loopholes, yet they tighten the screws on us lesser mortals with things like benefits

thats probably why some of us think carrs use of tax avoidance is a good thing. the government dont give a hoot about the little man, so why the hell would the little man care about anybody trying to avoid paying tax, legally of course.

Archived