Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

One thing is for sure, this country wouldn't exist as we know it if everyone had a choice on how much tax they pay. Carr is hypocritical by using the services that the country has offered him free at the point of use, but then then he shirks when it comes to paying the taxes that fund those services.

If we want our public services to remain free at the point of use, we need people paying the taxes. Amusingly, if the services now stopped being free at the point of use, it wouldn't effect Carr in the slightest. Whereas me and you would suffer greatly.

you are, of course, completely correct about the public services, and after seeing just how dedicated our public service professionals are, ie nurses firefighters police etc, there obviously is a need for revenue to be paid and collected, which sounds like ive just done a tory u-turn, but when it comes to the public flogging and privacy stripping of a person, its just not right to show this persons dirty laundry in public. carr has done absolutely nothing illegal, and for many to state how wrong he was to do this is just infuriating. I think that his decision to float offshore was selfish and self protecting, but as was said in that "unmentionable" newspaper that rymes with naily pale, he couldnt possibly get away with paying absolutely no tax whatsoever, which is again, proportionate with at least paying something. Its just the fact that he is a considerably wealthy man, which is what seems to have got so many backs up, yet every whinger would themselves do their upmost to avoid paying more than they had to, IF they got the chance. and I really do believe that to be true, as I know I would.

you are, of course, completely correct about the public services, and after seeing just how dedicated our public service professionals are, ie nurses firefighters police etc, there obviously is a need for revenue to be paid and collected, which sounds like ive just done a tory u-turn, but when it comes to the public flogging and privacy stripping of a person, its just not right to show this persons dirty laundry in public. carr has done absolutely nothing illegal, and for many to state how wrong he was to do this is just infuriating. I think that his decision to float offshore was selfish and self protecting, but as was said in that "unmentionable" newspaper that rymes with naily pale, he couldnt possibly get away with paying absolutely no tax whatsoever, which is again, proportionate with at least paying something. Its just the fact that he is a considerably wealthy man, which is what seems to have got so many backs up, yet every whinger would themselves do their upmost to avoid paying more than they had to, IF they got the chance. and I really do believe that to be true, as I know I would.

I don't think that it because he's wealthy per se, I think that it's due to him be so selfish and hypocritical. If his house was broken into he'd call the police in an instant and if he or his family suddenly became seriously ill he'd ring for an ambulance straightaway.

thats very good, but dosent it make you feel a little uneasy that a total stranger could one day be able to know more about your finances than you do? and more to the point, why should they?

No, it doesn't make me feel uneasy.

The reason for knowing what others are doing is blindingly obvious in a Norwegian context. In a country with lower levels of inequality, good living standards, where most citizens respect paying tax as a civic duty and enjoy very good services there is no reason not to know what others are doing. It might seem strange to us but it is completely normal to people who live there.

To justify "you would" you protect your back with "everyone would". Everyone may..who knows. Everyone would pocket a purse full of money as an excuse for an individual who did? Excuses based on didly I'm afraid.

I can complain all day about Carr and it'll probably go no further than a few people. Carr can complain of others dodgy doings and he gets national coverage..and gets a whacking salary for doing it. Don't you see the irony?

I don't think that it because he's wealthy per se, I think that it's due to him be so selfish and hypocritical. If his house was broken into he'd call the police in an instant and if he or his family suddenly became seriously ill he'd ring for an ambulance straightaway.

selfish, yes. wealthy, yes. not the best lookin bloke about, but yep, im a bit jealous of his dosh.

one last thing before bed, if I was overpaid say £4000 on my tax credits, would I want that printing in the sheffield star? would you? I dont think neither of us would, because as you said earlier, we are just normal blokes. But if I could opt out of PAYE and go onto the Nova scheme, I could pay less tax than you, no matter what we both earned. But then, thats neither of our business, is it?

carr has done absolutely nothing illegal, and for many to state how wrong he was to do this is just infuriating

Carr was in the Rushmore scheme that was litigated and closed down in 2009. He then joined the K2 scheme which is now being litigated by the HMRC too. When you look at how the scheme works it doesn't look like it will remain legal for too long.

As for Carr he's been hung out to dry and needs to be left alone to pick up the pieces. There are bigger, more important fish to fry now.

No, it doesn't make me feel uneasy.

The reason for knowing what others are doing is blindingly obvious in a Norwegian context. In a country with lower levels of inequality, good living standards, where most citizens respect paying tax as a civic duty and enjoy very good services there is no reason not to know what others are doing. It might seem strange to us but it is completely normal to people who live there.

stoning women in iran, is normal in iran. yet considered barbaric here in the uk. just because the norwegians want to know what colour their neighbours underpants are, does not mean we should want to have the same type of intrusion here. just what the hell do people want? everyone has the right to keep their private affairs private. do you think the phone hackers were right to tap peoples phones? the invasion on peoples right to privacy is ludicrous, and im pretty sure that if your waist size was put on a 40ft billboard outside the town hall, you would have something to say about it. equality dosent mean knowing whats in your bread bin.

stoning women in iran, is normal in iran. yet considered barbaric here in the uk. just because the norwegians want to know what colour their neighbours underpants are, does not mean we should want to have the same type of intrusion here. just what the hell do people want? everyone has the right to keep their private affairs private. do you think the phone hackers were right to tap peoples phones? the invasion on peoples right to privacy is ludicrous, and im pretty sure that if your waist size was put on a 40ft billboard outside the town hall, you would have something to say about it. equality dosent mean knowing whats in your bread bin.

Slightly hysterical comparison there between Norwegian taxes and Islamic justice but anyway why is it an invasion of privacy to know what taxes somebody pays? I don't care who knows what I pay because I've got absolutely nothing to hide. There's no reason for the vast majority of people in this country to be worried either. A minority will want to hide what they're up to though.

One thing is for sure, this country wouldn't exist as we know it if everyone had a choice on how much tax they pay. Carr is hypocritical by using the services that the country has offered him free at the point of use, but then then he shirks when it comes to paying the taxes that fund those services.

If we want our public services to remain free at the point of use, we need people paying the taxes. Amusingly, if the services now stopped being free at the point of use, it wouldn't effect Carr in the slightest. Whereas me and you would suffer greatly.

That’s an interesting point, people expect the services they rely on to be paid for by people that don't need the service, maybe it would be farer for the people that used the service to contribute the most towards it.

That’s an interesting point, people expect the services they rely on to be paid for by people that don't need the service, maybe it would be farer for the people that used the service to contribute the most towards it.
wouldnt it just be fairer for people to pay the proper amount of tax :hihi:

Archived